Shows that just, for some reason, you can't make yourself like

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I'd hate to see the same stuff every year, but I'd rather have a corps stay exactly the same than change for the worse. I would like drum corps shows to follow a general formula: brass, percussion, and colorguard only (props and unamped vocals are fine), and any innovation should be done within these boundaries. Sometimes, the more restricted something is, the better.

Staying exactly the same as in what the show is? You just said something about the Cavaliers' ballad chord progression being the same.......

Formula shows......eh

When a show is being constructed, these things should be taken into consideration imho:

1. Music that will be entertaining to the audience, fit the concept of the production, and that will challenge the staff and members

2. Build on what you did last year without doing exactly what you did last year.........

3. Will all sections of the corps benefit and learn from the production?

4. What will the audience get out of this show?, what should they feel in each minute?, what is the central idea that you will convey?

5. Is it educational to the members?

6. Will it be a good vehicle to take the corps where it wants to be by the end of the summer?

Obviously it is hard to satisfy all of these things.

Of course I'm serious. That's the WHOLE REASON I started to love drum corps in the first place.

It's really interesting to me that other genres of music are pretty open to such changes, but someone changes the key on some horns or adds in vocals and suddenly it's not drum corps anymore. For fear of this thread going severely off topic I'm not going to debate this with you, but if an orchestra added an electric guitar into its ranks, it would still be an orchestra.

As far as more shows that I can't really make myself like: Cavies 1999

Staying exactly the same as in what the show is? You just said something about the Cavaliers' ballad chord progression being the same.......

No, I think corps should do different shows each year. And Cavaliers had one of the best ballads this year. Loved it, loved their show.

When a show is being constructed, these things should be taken into consideration imho:

1. Music that will be entertaining to the audience, fit the concept of the production, and that will challenge the staff and members

2. Build on what you did last year without doing exactly what you did last year.........

3. Will all sections of the corps benefit and learn from the production?

4. What will the audience get out of this show?, what should they feel in each minute?, what is the central idea that you will convey?

5. Is it educational to the members?

6. Will it be a good vehicle to take the corps where it wants to be by the end of the summer?

Obviously it is hard to satisfy all of these things.

I agree with all of those. Most corps this year did just that, and I expect even better things for 2007. :)

That's not true at all. Are you actually serious?

Actually I think he has a very valid point. Working to create something fresh and new within the restrictions forces creativity, it doesn't stifle it IMO. Perhaps it's the creativity running dry that has designers wanting all these toys. The possibilities for 135 kids on a football field for 11 minutes cant truly be exhausted yet.

Actually I think he has a very valid point. Working to create something fresh and new within the restrictions forces creativity, it doesn't stifle it IMO. Perhaps it's the creativity running dry that has designers wanting all these toys. The possibilities for 135 kids on a football field for 11 minutes cant truly be exhausted yet.

:doh:

Hrothgar, can you please not talk about how much you hated Cadets in '06 for like... one second????? How many threads are you going to hijack to talk about how you absolutely adore the Cadets but can't stand their '06 show?

God. This is so annoying.

Edited by TSRTS13

Cavaliers 04 and 06 ballad had similar chord progressions in C minor.

Man, they were both in the same key. That Saucedo guy, what a hack.