Composers knowing about corps

Chuck Mangione, and Chick Corea I'm sure they both know about drum corps, especially from the late 70's for Chuck !!

A long time ago I heard that Chuck Mangione happened to be in Concord, CA in the one day in the 70's and heard the Blue Devils reherasing Children of Sanchez and that's how he found out that a corps was doing his music. Is there any truth to this story?

Joe Curiale is very aware of the drum corps activity, and considers himself a fan. I'm gonna say I helped get his music on the field for the first time in 2004 with the Troopers. . . even though Crown did play something more like a clip of one section of one of his pieces that same year. Joe was going to visit the Troopers in '04, but corps management had some difficulties following up on the opportunity.

Hate to burst your bubble, Chuck, but the Lake Erie Regiment helped get his music on the field for the first time in 2000! Well, at least "Joy", "Forgiveness", "Call Of The Mountain", and "Adelena De Maya" were brought to the drum corps field for the first time by LER. And according to corpsreps.com, VK did some of his other stuff in the early 80s.

Yeah, I know... VK?? :P

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Mackey (Redline Tango) visited the San Antonio show in 2005, when the Blue Devils and Seattle Cascades both used his music. He even wrote about the event and took picture for his online blog. Heh, the lucky ######## also got tickets to the UCLA-USC game this year, thanks to Gordon Henderson. DCI people will know Henderson from his work with SCV, he also happens to be director of bands at UCLA and used Redline Tango with the Bruins marching band.

Here's a picture of David Holsinger talking to the members of Lone Star in 1996.

lonestardbc96davidholsinger.jpg.w180h223.jpg

Here's a picture of David Holsinger talking to the members of Lone Star in 1996.

lonestardbc96davidholsinger.jpg.w180h223.jpg

I know that Holsinger met with the Cadets in 1992 and 1993 as a consultant finals week.

Jennifer Higdon, composer of the music Boston used last year, was so ecstatic about her music hitting the drum corps field she plastered a scrolling message at the top of her website, as well as a message about how excited she was. Ms. Higdon also visited Boston during Finals week.

Fanfare column on Jennifer Higdon

Of course, any drum corps arranger who wrote original compositions for their corps automatically get added to the list. :D

Oooooo! Oooooo! Oooooo!

And my concert band compositions have recently started being published by TRN Music Publisher, Inc., (only one so far, but more on the way), the same company that publishes Holsinger, so I'm hoping to hear my stuff on the field in the future. I'll be having a website soon (it's being constructed now and will be up in a few weeks) that will provide more info. (Shameless self plug.)

Did Alfred Reed visit PR in '84 when they played Armenian Dances? I've heard rumors to that effect.

I spoke to Mr. Reed in @1989 when he guest conducted the Central Missouri State concert band at a concert, and he confirmed both that he knew about drum corps, and had worked with PR at a rehearsal. He was very complimentary!

I've long wished to arrange an all-Metheney show and have Pat show up at a rehearsal- he doesn't live in Kansas City, but he grew up in the area, and his parents and brother do (the last I knew).

Of course, I've also long wanted to arrange an all Tom Waits show and have him show up, but that's another topic...

Edited by scouttimp