Corps Names

The New York Skyliners

The corps was the result of a merger betwen the Grand Street Boys and the Phoebe Apperson Hearst post Drum Corps. The new corps was named after Raymond Garbarina who I believe marched in both of the foremention corps. Not sure though, have to check the history book.

The corps became the Raymond A Garbarina memorial drum corps and it was later changed to the Garbarina Skyliners. Skyliners obviously coming from the New York Skyline. The corps was sponsored by the Garbarina Memorial post 1523 of New York City. Later, John Mazarakos was added to the post charter and it became the Garbarina-Mazarakos American Legion #1523. The Garbarina-Mazarakos Skyliners is an awefully long name though. I imagine that would have something to do with renaming the corps the New York Skyliners. The corps is still the New York Skyliners because we are still sponsored by the Garbarina Post. Why don't we practice there? It is what is called a paper post. It is no more than a charter at this point. Mmaybe some day we will be able to find a home for the charter and a building to call it home. :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SoCal Dream was -- IIRC -- Originally supposed to be SoCal Dream Machine, but the machine part got dropped.

i think this was a name Garry Parker had for quite a while before the corps was actually founded.....he'd be better able to clarify.

You are way on the facts on this one... The true info is on the website...

Thanks, Billy. BTW, how did the "Northernaires" from Menomine,Michigan get their name? You did march with them, didn't you?

If you go to their website, they also have a wonderful section written by one of the founders (Bill King) who recently passed away. A great man! They were originally the DAR Boy's Club Drum & Bugle Corps. Yes, many corps have great historys. It's also spelled "Menominee".

The Northernaires are one of 3 corps I've proudly performed in during my time within the activity. Ironically, my first show of my first year in the activity we bested the Kilties.

The Northernaires still have a great program going on where they get together once a year with everyone involved from every era for a full corps rehearsal on a Friday evening, a Saturday picnic and rehearsal, and do a parade and concert on Sunday. Not only are present Northernaires and alumni invited, but also anyone interested in performing from any corps.

Kenny Norman attended a few years back and had a blast. The Northernaires had some good people come from their program; instructors and adjudicators. Lloyd Pesola and Joe Lemire are two that come to mind immediately.

The Northernaires were helped in their organizational start by some folks from the Racine Scouts, Don Warren, and Clarence Beebe to name a few.

I remember many times "Monk" Warzniack (sp?) (yeah...good ole' Monk from the Cavies..God rest his soul) and his son Tommy would always come up fishing for a week or so over the years, and we'd all get together for a couple of nice dinners and such.

Drum corps hasn't changed (at least for those who know what it's really all about).........it's all about the friendships.

The Westshoremen were originally named the Longshoremen, a nod to the Union of fame. However, the Union didn't like the corps using the name, so since the corps home was on the west shore of the Susquehanna River, we became the Westshoremen

:drool: The Hurricanes were originally a fife and drum corps John Collins Post circa 1932 ....Aptly Renamed the Connecticut Hurricanes in 1955 after hurricane "Diane" devistated the Naugatuck Valley :drool:

Just to ellaborate, the 1955 hurricane (known locally as "the flood") caused tremendous damage in both life and property. There were coffins from cemetary's washing up on peoples front porches. Hence....the hurricane warning flag....the corps insignia.

Edited by Piper

The Austin Stars name came from the fact that Austin is the capitol of Texas which is known as the "Lone Star State" because of the single star on the state flag. You can find stars all over the place in the state capitol building, all over downtown Austin and all over the State of Texas for that matter. Austin also has a great musical legacy and is known as "The ive music capitol of the world". You can see a lot of musical "stars" on almost any given night in the clubs on 6th Street and in other venues in town. South By Southwest (SXSW) and Austin City Limits music festivals bring in some of the biggest and brightest stars in music to Austin every year.

And it just happened to have that 4 letter word you are obsessed with

Edited by camel lips

"The Northernaires are one of 3 corps I've proudly performed in during my time within the activity. Ironically, my first show of my first year in the activity we bested the Kilties."

Northernaires beating the Kilts? I'd like to see the score sheets on THAT one.

Edited by retroguy

"The Northernaires are one of 3 corps I've proudly performed in during my time within the activity. Ironically, my first show of my first year in the activity we bested the Kilties."

Northernaires beating the Kilts? I'd like to see the score sheets on THAT one.

As savvy as you portray yourself, It should be easy for you to track that info down.

As savvy as you portray yourself, It should be easy for you to track that info down.

Sorry Bill, my initials do not begin with "T" or "J".

I remember the Northernaries, competed against them several times. Kicked their a** also. If they ever beat the Kilts it must have been VERY early in the season and the Kilts were having a real bad day.