Should all DCA Corps be required to include a feature twirler in their

not to spoil the tongue in cheek.... BUT (seriously)

Actually, my main major for many years, Alan Smythe, was U.S. National solo champion twirler at one time and on several occasions used a baton in corps and of course was the master of the mace... He even did several seasons as the PAID baton twirler for I think it was the Philadelphia Eagles...

Shortly before his death, he did a phenominal baton exhibition at an indoor show that floored everyone... for his age and health... he still HAD it...

and for those of you young 'uns... batons WERE used in major corps for many years well into the 50's... they went out of vogue in the late 50's at the same time many senior corps stopped using women... I'll never understand that... why did we go for almost a full decade (1959 or so to mid to late 60's) with no women in the corps????

Alan was quite the showman - who could forget his presence in front of the "Fabulous" Crusaders?

Also, how about giving the great George Parks his due in this thread? The mace was his trademark when he was out front of the Bucs, and he taught many others to lead marching units.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Commenting on the glocks part of this thread:

Glocks?? Sweet. I'd have to get in touch with the 10 girls from my high school band, ok, this is back in 1980, that played them in marching band. Nothing better then 10 glocks taking the place of flutes and piccs. No woodwinds in my high school band, well, ok, 3 sax players, but the altoniums outblew them so they don't count. LOL.

Edited by JeffP

Glocks?? Sweet. I'd have to get in touch with the 10 girls from my high school band, ok, this is back in 1980, that played them in marching band. Nothing better then 10 glocks taking the place of flutes and piccs. No woodwinds in my high school band, well, ok, 3 sax players, but the altoniums outblew them so they don't count. LOL.

I started out as a Baton Twirler............

I'm old

Just to clarify because I received a really nasty private message, I love baton twirling. I twirled as a kid. I just was bored and wanted to have fun.

Has any Corps ever used a baton twirler in their show? I think it could have worked really well for The Cadets show of (95? 96?) where they did the Americana show - you know, the one that was post WW2.

Just to clarify because I received a really nasty private message, I love baton twirling. I twirled as a kid. I just was bored and wanted to have fun.

Has any Corps ever used a baton twirler in their show? I think it could have worked really well for The Cadets show of (95? 96?) where they did the Americana show - you know, the one that was post WW2.

Dunkirk Patriots in the 70's,...................

I started out as a Baton Twirler............

I'm old

*AHEM*

you're not old Lil Miss Sassy Pants. :lol:

cuz if i have to acknowledge you're old, i'll have to acknowledge myself as old since i started out the same way. :lol:

*AHEM*

you're not old Lil Miss Sassy Pants. :lol:

cuz if i have to acknowledge you're old, i'll have to acknowledge myself as old since i started out the same way. :lol:

I remember this twirler who performed at the Teddy Roosevelt Opera Company in Philly. Her name was Chili Pepper and she could make her tassels twirl in concentric circles.......very educational for aspiring engineers. She would be fabulous in front of a corps.

Jimbalaya

My younger sister twirled baton for a while. I did too, secretly in the back yard. ^0^ ^0^ ^0^

The daughter of the woman who taught the lessons was a National 3-baton champion and could twirl fire batons. Star of Indiana tried to recruit her for the circus show.

A good baton twirler is the bomb. Watching a not-so good one? Painful.