looking into colleges

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All these big name schools are fine and dandy and all, but music is the most diverse major out there. You will trully find out how well you can teach WHEN YOU ACTUALLY START TEACHING! NO school can prepare you to the full extent of what you will encounter in the teaching world. Learning the "UH way" of doing things is good, but who's to say it will work in your band program? Music is not like math where a formula will work everytime. You have to work hard and develop your own individual teaching style and theories to be trully sucessfull.

It's doesn't hurt to still go to a good school that guarantees a good environment and education... I'm certainly not going to get my composition degree at the University of Arkansas

Eh, for education, go to a local state U. For education majors at the undergrad level, it doesn't make that big of a difference. You get out of an undergrad ed program what you put into it. And like others have said, you can throw out a lot of what you learned when you actually start teaching. If you decide to do graduate work, look into the top tier shools. Just my 2 cents. It would be a lot different advice if you were going for performance or composition.

Berklee is a joke in the jazz community. I always hear to it referred as a place for people who want to sell out. Besides, John Mayer went there.

I bet he's making more than you :P

I only know of friends who have gone there and loved it

making more what? terrible music?

because you're probably right..

~>conner

I only know of friends who have gone there and loved it

Yup, cause that's why I want to make music.......for money. I also went to my school for it's football team, and John Edwards will make a great president.

making more what? terrible music?

because you're probably right..

~>conner

This post made my night.