Drooling Over Cadets' Opener

And what's so funny about my opinion of Cadets 2003? Didn't you march that show? It's the best Malagueña in my opinion.

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it funny how in almost every single thread that has ever been created on DCP, it ends up being completely off topic and results in bashing of other corps and each other. I loved the recording, I'll have to listen to some more stuff by this composer. Does anyone have any recommendations for other great stuff the composer's done?

gjdavistuba - In 2004, Seattle Cascades did Allegro Impetuoso by the same composer.

Thanks for getting this back on topic - hopefully it can stay there for a while.

I recently saw a movie that had a scene from field level at the Rose Bowl - it heightened my belief that a strong music GE program will be favored to win this year. With such poor sight lines, a stronger visual corps like The Cavies no longer has the edge whereas a stronger music corps like Phantom does. I think that if 2006's finals were held at the Rose Bowl, Phantom would have won.

That was a long way around saying that another thing I like about The Cadets' opener is the effect it will have when performed in the Rose Bowl. Great potential in this music for high scores in both difficulty and effect.

Thanks for getting this back on topic - hopefully it can stay there for a while.

I appreciate your optimism, but I seriously doubt this.

I'll never understand this philosophy. How can the fact that a piece of music has been played before decrease its quality? Good music is good music.

If you want to hear Malaguena again, go pop in a recording. To be honest, no corps has produced the energy of Malaguena that the original Stan Kenton band. I personally just get annoyed having to hear Malaguena practically ALL OF THE TIME. There is so much music out there, it's a disgrace to still live in the past.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other great stuff the composer's done?

Nelhybel really isn't that great, Symphonic Movement and the suite Trittico (which is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than Symphonic Movement) are his only real "claims to fame." To be honest, the people on this board are the only people I've ever come across to actually like Symphonic Movement haha. Oh well, different strokes I suppose, I just find it odd after all the times people ##### and moan about the music a lot of corps play.

watch 96 madison, and then watch 03 cadets...

and the only way BAC's version of malageuna would do the song justice is if "maleguena" was spanish for "really crappy."

"He realized that just having an opinion wasn't good enough.........you have to be a dick to everyone who doesn't think like you"

A shiny new nickel to anyone who gets that reference..

But really, if you were to ask someone...say someone like me...I would tell you I actually like the 2003 Malaguenas (both of them) since they were actually creative arrangements and not the same predictable rehashed crap (though in a sense they were both still predictable crap, but at least they were creative). If I listen to 1996 Madison, Malaguena is always the part I skip over. Actually, I only listen to the opener, since the Bolero is actually pretty boring. Just my opinion of course.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

If you want to hear Malaguena again, go pop in a recording. To be honest, no corps has produced the energy of Malaguena that the original Stan Kenton band. I personally just get annoyed having to hear Malaguena practically ALL OF THE TIME. There is so much music out there, it's a disgrace to still live in the past.

Because we all know that listening to a recording of a drum corps show is just as amazing and sounds just as great as seeing a drum corps show in real life... :music: I've never heard this piece in real life by a drum corps, and if you have your way, I never will. But thanks to corps like Phantom Regiment, I hadn't heard Scythian Suite done by a corps because they did it in 1984, before I was born, but what was one of my favorite pieces of the 2006 season? Scythian Suite. I'm in awe over their 1978 show, The Firebird in particular, and I remember thinking, what I wouldn't give to hear that piece live by them. And something tells me I'm going to be screaming, yelling, jumping, and clapping in ecstacy after their performance, of The Firebird, a classic that they're not afraid to bring back, finals night in Pasadena.

Think about it this way. If Cadets in 2003 had said, "You know what? Malagueña's over played, let's not do it," then may favorite Malagueña EVER would never have been performed. Talk about limited creativity, when you automatically deem music to be unplayable. Maybe my limited view comes from the fact that I came from a very straightforward marching band program (one that would never think of using any sort of amplified vocals and simply tried to entertain the audience with great marching and great music) that most years would keep a chart (or even the whole show) from the previous year and brought back classics from ten, fifteen, or twenty years back, but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Truly great drum corps shows are born only when a corps is not afraid to try something old.

Edited by Hrothgar15

If you eat at a restaurant, then eat at a second restaurant, the second meal will be spoiled by the first. Even if the second was a better meal, it was still not too enjoyable.

If Spirit goes on at a show, and Cadets go on next or a few corps later, even if the Cadets perform it better, it will just not be as enjoyable. Not fresh.

Get it?

edit: And to say that it's been done in the past is not a valid arguement to do it now. Perhaps the Cadets are learning from their mistakes and/or the mistakes of other corps.

So, If I go to I-hop for breakfast then Spago for dinner, Im already going to hate my dinner ??? Nah....not even close, flawwed argument anyway seeing as the stomach is a finite entity, capable of receiving only so much "data" until it is full. The senses at a drum corps show can keep going and going, taking in much more material, incuding repeat songs.

and just a an example: lets say in 1989 River city Railmen did "Phantom of the Opera" ..they went on right after SCV in prelims, I can guarantee you SCV would still be the more "intense" or "better" experience.

~G~