Who's left in G?

I spoke to Col Crawford back in 1996 about this, and he confirmed that the Commandant didn't want "another band" in the Marine Corps, so they stayed 2-valve. Some irony in there if you look hard enough....

Absolutely could not have been a mistake on the purchase order.....

Navy will stay G until it becomes cost prohibitive. And I will be honest with you, it is getting more cost prohibitive every year....

Jeff

Thank you Jeff......Col. Crawford was a musical genius who laid down a melody like no one before him.

He gave Drum and Bugle Corps a new sound and purpose.....

I only assualt Bb's because I am a traditionalist, and want to preserve its history, ..... as opposed to changing from wood

to metal bats in baseball.........

Its just not the same.....regardless if it improves....

Edited by muzzicman1

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Jeff......Col. Crawford was a musical genius who laid down a melody like no one before him.

He gave Drum and Bugle Corps an new sound and purpose.....

I only assualt Bb's because I am a traditionalist, and want to preserve its history, ..... as opposed to changing from wood

Preserving and honoring history is not accomplished by making specious attacks on the present.

Which 'history' do you want to "preserve" (like in a mason jar stuck on a shelf someplace?)

No valve horns with units marching in parade form past some judges?

Or one-valve horns with a narrow overall range limit?

Or valve/slide/rotor/two-valve/three valve/multi-key...contras/tubas or no contras/tubas?

Single tenors or multi? Timps or not...mallets or not...stationary or being lugged around?

The silly caption called "Cadence"?

The Marine Drum & Bugle Corps ordered their new line of Kanstul 2 valve bugles last year. The order was supposed to be for three valves, but there was a mistake on the purchase order. I heard this directly from two members of the Marine D&B.

mmmm.... I heard that they don't use the 3 valves because they would lose their status as a drum and bugle corps. They would then be considered a "BAND". This info was given to me by the MC at the Foxboro Stadium -DCI show a couple of years ago.

I was watching the Commandant's Own warm up, in Parkville Gym. Wonderful, of course!

Interesting thing, besides the 2 valves, the contras also had rotors. Pretty sure they were for 1/2 step slides.

Adding a half step to the horns when both pistons are depressed would give a couple more notes in the lower octave, eh?

(Ab, Eb then accessible). Just a guess...

Pretty cool!

Bill Moore B)

I need to learn to read. Geez you guys write a lot!!!! Anyhew the Marines rock, they're in G. Never miss a show when they're in Dallas. I wish they would play at DCA finals.

Anyone who uses those nefarious and ridiculous radial tires on a motor vehicle isn't really driving, and it isn't even really a car. I don't care what your goofy high school driver's ed teacher said -- radial tires are a recent product designed to cut into the profits of inner-tube companies and cross-ply tires, and to appeal to NASCAR fans. That's it. People who use the newfangled radial tires are phonies and sissies.

I'm not advocating one side or the other here, but I do have to point out that this particular argument, while definitely compelling, is also a bit specious in its reasoning. It makes the inherent assumption that object B, being an object that came after object A, is inherently better than the original. While the argument above does point out the folly of adhering to a tradition for tradition's sake, it is also written with the intention of pulling at the thoughts of those who are assuming Bb/F hornlines to be better than G hornlines, and this point is not at all settled. Note that the original argument had the second problem (one is inherently better), but by modifying it to turn it back at the arguer you added the first observation (let traditions die when necessary).

Sorry, please continue with your regularly scheduled rhetoric :-)

He gave Drum and Bugle Corps an new sound and purpose.....

Maybe your points would be better made without the name-calling and insults.

You know, it really comes down to the player(s). Trumpet players play all sorts of trumpets in different keys. I have played really good bugles and really #### poor ones. Same as Trumpets, I have played good ones and #### poor ones yet, incredibly I was still able to play in tune after getting the hang of it.

I "personally" like the sound of a "G" hornline and notice a BIG difference between a 2 valve and a 3 valve horn in the way it plays. But, to say something is not good simply because of the key???? just weird.

Maybe your points would be better made without the name-calling and insults.

Whom did I make a personal attack on?....your opinion?....I insulted someone with suggesting that the instrumentation key

is just an excuse for making a profit?....

Did I REALLY say something wrong?....or did I offend those proponents of products that have failed in its promises?.....

Bb instrumentation has not changed anything in style and methods about Drum Corps unique presentation. I've

heard many hornlines that have changed to Bb's, do the same old G programs.

Just because some key signatures are available, doesn't really change Drum Corps styles, does it?

Traditionalist like myself, recognize what is really going on, and if speaking up about it bothers you and others who

are opposed to me, then so be it.

The cost of these instruments are rediculous, the reason for the change is to standardize the tooling casts to increase

profits for makers.....period.

Its not about making the Drum and "Bugle" Corps activity better........

Edited by muzzicman1

Whom did I make a personal attack on?....your opinion?....
Ahem...correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe you made a personal attack on anyone who plays Bb on the field! Something to the effect of calling these folks sissies, fakes and phonies. Bottom line is however that in 5-10 years, the only way you will be able to hear a G line will be to show up at the finals early, cause the only lines playing G will be in the lower echelon. You'll probably be sitting next to the guy who keeps his eyes closed for the first minute of every show because it upsets his delicate sensiblities to see a "drum corps" not starting their show from the end line!