Mouthpiece Check

The Original El Guapo

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if this happens to you but when playing dead skin from the lips start to pile on the mouthpiece so I always carry a towel with me to wipe off the mouthpiece whenever Im not playing. You can always tell the difference.

I just got done boiling mine...what a difference it makes...

Yeah, my friend recommended boiling the MP's to me and it really works. Right now I don't have to worry about that since I just got a new one two days ago (nice and shiny inside and out). Now it matches my horn (trumpet, not my sop) instead of the 20+ year old that one that was formerly my private teachers and quite dull.

The best bet is to put your horn in the tub and let it soak. Use lukewarm water and a little bit of Dawn detergent. Before school started I did a mass washing of my trumpet, my brothers (formerly mine) trumpet and the student model we both used. Yeah, some nasty stuff came out of them.

I've never cleaned my soprano mouthpiece until this fall. When I finally did, I put so much air through the horn that I busted all three braces on the leadpipe and straightened the bell backward so that it hit me in the head and caused a minor concusion. So that's why I'm playing baritone now--I can't play as high, but at least I'm not I'm not unfuling my horn now! :P

I've never cleaned my soprano mouthpiece until this fall. When I finally did, I put so much air through the horn that I busted all three braces on the leadpipe and straightened the bell backward so that it hit me in the head and caused a minor concusion. So that's why I'm playing baritone now--I can't play as high, but at least I'm not I'm not unfuling my horn now!  

HAHAHA ...good story

• 2 months later...

um...........i haven cleaned me horn since about december :whip:

im scared for the next time i clean it

• 1 month later...