Retention

Here are a few other things that we do at Bucs.
You mean other than being the 2 time, 2 years undefeated World Champs!! This alone would seem to me to go a long way toward retention of existing and new members...KUDOS to you!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean other than being the 2 time, 2 years undefeated World Champs!! This alone would seem to me to go a long way toward retention of existing and new members...KUDOS to you!!

Being the current champion isn't a bad thing.......but, having been part of this corps for the past 20 years I know what it's like to not make it to finals.

The current administration works hard at building the corps for the future, not just for the current year. Remembering where we came from keeps us focused on what is really important.

We'd like to be around for the next 50 years.

Edited by Loiswt

I agree with Lois. Championships are nice, and they help draw attention to the organization, but at the end of the day you have to create, develop and maintain a quality organization that people want to be a part of. We all have our own tastes about what that organization would look like, but a quality organization with lots of the things people mentioned in this thread are the key.

If that's in place, you have members who have life-altering experiences and come back the next year. If done right, a drum corps season is a success every year, regardless of a competitive placement, because you're selling the experience, not the jewelry.

I agree with Lois. Championships are nice, and they help draw attention to the organization, but at the end of the day you have to create, develop and maintain a quality organization that people want to be a part of. We all have our own tastes about what that organization would look like, but a quality organization with lots of the things people mentioned in this thread are the key.

If that's in place, you have members who have life-altering experiences and come back the next year. If done right, a drum corps season is a success every year, regardless of a competitive placement, because you're selling the experience, not the jewelry.

Well said Tom and Lois.

Someone recently said to me "Hey - I bet it was cool to have that medal put around your neck when you won."

My response was, "Yeah - but it wasn't the most meaningful thing to go around my neck that night."

You see, at Bucs, every season, we get a dog tag with our show design name and year on the back every year at finals. For the last two years of receiving that at finals, it's the most important thing I received all season long - even more than the championship medals I received. The first year I received it, it was like someone was saying to me, "Welcome to our family - you've officially made it through the season."

Those dog tags mean more to me than any medal or trophy ever will. They are my constant reminder of my involvement with this organization, and the fact that the rest of my family shares ones exactly like mine. :)