Hrothgar's DCI Wakeup Topic

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday, January 15, 2007

Madison Scouts 1999- Jesus Christ Superstar

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

They just don't make them like this anymore. Perfection from start to finish. Excuse me for ranting, but these are the Madison Scouts the crowd ROARED for, the Madison Scouts who got standing ovations during the middle of the show (imagine how weird that is to think today), the Madison Scouts who had masterfully arranged musical and visual programs. I love the Scouts, but really, this is one of their last or their last AMAZING show in which they had the crowd in the palm of their hand.

The reason for this isn't as hidden as you think. This show is a theme that people already understand, and, because of this, the music is already all there and all fits together. And speaking of the music...good God. This is drum corps! These arrangmenets are SPECTACULAR! But, more so, the show is great because the MUSIC is spectacular. How can you go wrong with Andrew Lloyd Webber? You can't. The beginning with the soloists, building and building to the PUSH ( :lol: ) The exciting, fast-paced opener, inspiring second movement, the enormously fun "King Herod's song," the AMAZING percussion feature, a beautiful ballad, and an epic finish with the main theme. This is how it's done, folks! Huge, beautiful brass moments, great melodies you'll be humming for hours...this is a pinnacle in drum corps music. The visual program did nothing to hinder the musical program but was still very well-thought out and exactly what drum corps drill should be.

People say, "Oh, DCI has changed, if the Madison Scouts did this type of show in 2007, with the same music, same, drill, and same ability, they wouldn't even make finals." Yeah. NO! What a cop-out! They'd come in fifth, or fourth...no lower than sixth. That's just an excuse trying to justify their productions as of yet. Really, if it were any other corps, I'd have no problem, but the Scouts set such a HUGE standard in the '90s, they've opened themselves up to unfair criticism when they fall below that level of entertainment again. But shows like this, and 1995, 1996, 1997, etc., pushed the edge in how entertaining a drum corps show could be. I have faith in the Scouts that they can pull off one like this again. In the meantime, I'm glad they're responsible for this great masterpiece that will live on forever.

Edited by Hrothgar15

Scouts 1999 is one of my favorite Scouts shows, entertaining from every perspective, one I can listen to multiple times in a row.

I wish they could have cleaned a bit more and placed a tad higher...some of the melodies got a little lost -- a similar problem Cadets 1989 had, both being Broadway shows. Also, I wish they had spent more time on John 19:41 or whatever the post-crucifixion ballad instrumental is called, it's a gorgeous song...

Certainly one of my most watched and it is one of the first shows I think of when one mentions the Madision Scouts.

Why do you and others display political ads on a drumcorps board, ESPECIALLY given the fact that there are 22 months remaining before election. D or R, every politician s ucks.

Barak Hussein Obama?? Ironic middle name. And ask any B. Hussein Obama groupies as to why he would make this country better, and nobody can make a valid point.

(off soapbox)

As you may have heard before, I wake up each and every morning to drum corps. Insteading waking up to a blaring alarm, running out of bed to turn it off, and then falling back to sleep, I am awoken by a blast of brass or percussion, and I stay in bed for eleven-and-a-half minutes, basking my ears in glorious sounds, and by then, I am fully woken up and ready to start my day. Unfortunately, I have that show stuck in my head for the rest of the day, but I guess that's not such a bad thing after all. In this thread, I will describe the thoughts that came to my mind while listening to these shows.

January 9, 2007- Bluecoats 2006

The sound of this ensemble is just unreal. I also think that this show was one of the best musical books of the entire year...combine the two for an amazing combination. Really, I can't really pick a favorite piece in the show because it's all so incredible. Basically, an amazing brassline playing some amazing music, with some great licks and phat chords. B) The closer should have been a tad more exciting, though.

Edited by siuehist

Barak Hussein Obama?? Ironic middle name. And ask any B. Hussein Obama groupies as to why he would make this country better, and nobody can make a valid point.

Uh...the fact that he was born a Muslim may have something to do with it.

:rolleyes:

Uh...the fact that he was born a Muslim may have something to do with it.

:rolleyes:

What is his religious preference now? I hope when he wins (and the poor become rich, and we're all driving exhaust-free hybrid cars, and it never rains) he swears his oath on a Bible. That's all.

You missed the irony of my comment.

What is his religious preference now? I hope when he wins (and the poor become rich, and we're all driving exhaust-free hybrid cars, and it never rains) he swears his oath on a Bible. That's all.

You missed the irony of my comment.

He is a Christian now, so if he does win, chances are he will swear his oath on a Bible (which, by the why, is completely optional).