Hrothgar's DCI Wakeup Topic

You will enjoy this then...we were playing Wild Nights (the John Adams piece), and I swear one of the staff members actually asked us who had the melody. Everyone honestly just stould there and staired at him blankly. :)

John Adams is a minimalist compost - meanning, there is no melody to speak of, it's very techno/trance in that it is more about creating an almost ambient atmosphere. Unless I'm totally off base.

I feel John Adams has moved away from minimalism... and you can def pick out melody in Wild Nights.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree...I think Adams has moved beyond the "minimalist" label.

It sure would be amazing to have an all Adams show on the field..."Harmonielehre", "Chairman Dances"...c'mon somebody, play this stuff already! :)

Edited by bawker

I agree...I think Adams has moved beyond the "minimalist" label.

It sure would be amazing to have an all Adams show on the field..."Harmonielehre", "Chairman Dances"...c'mon somebody, play this stuff already! :)

Didn't Boston do something like that?

Didn't Boston do something like that?

Only "Wild Nights" as far as I can remember... I know the Raiders in II/III had an Adams show back in 04 or 05 (Fearful Symmetries, Harmonielehre, Short Ride, and I think Wild Nights) but I'm having trouble finding a copy of that since I never saw it live.

I'd love to see BK or Crown have at an all-Adams show...I'd say SCV, but they're busy for the next three years. :P

Only "Wild Nights" as far as I can remember... I know the Raiders in II/III had an Adams show back in 04 or 05 (Fearful Symmetries, Harmonielehre, Short Ride, and I think Wild Nights) but I'm having trouble finding a copy of that since I never saw it live.

I'd love to see BK or Crown have at an all-Adams show...I'd say SCV, but they're busy for the next three years. :P

Raiders did Adams back in 04...

Wild Nights from Harmonium

Short Ride in a Fast Machine

Harmonielehre - Movement III

Fearful Symmetries

You will enjoy this then...we were playing Wild Nights (the John Adams piece), and I swear one of the staff members actually asked us who had the melody. Everyone honestly just stould there and staired at him blankly. :)

John Adams is a minimalist compost - meanning, there is no melody to speak of, it's very techno/trance in that it is more about creating an almost ambient atmosphere. Unless I'm totally off base.

No, you pretty much nailed it on the head. Though I wouldn't compare John Adams to techno. He's the most respectable "minimalist" I think.