Ken kobold Recordings

IMO, our "Stars and Stripes" sounded pedestrian compared to BD's "Channel One."

Plus, you didn't have North tenors.......

191473756.jpg

Edited by uncle z

Did those things weigh more than the large marching tymps???

I'll bet you carried them with cloth straps too!!!

I'll agree with Dan - I really don't think the Scouts would've or could've caught the Devils in 1976 with the show we had.

The Blue Devils took Drum Corps to a little higher level that year. :drool:

• 15 years later...

DCI still seem reluctant  to release anything that was Ken's even though  they of a claim that he helped them at the start.

I am looking for a digital  copy of The Chicago Cavaliers 15th anniversary album.

Any help is greatly appreciated

On 4/19/2022 at 6:07 PM, Nave6022 said:

DCI still seem reluctant  to release anything that was Ken's even though  they of a claim that he helped them at the start.

I am looking for a digital  copy of The Chicago Cavaliers 15th anniversary album.

Any help is greatly appreciated

No doubt this has been addressed before, but there are legal issues here not the least of which is the fact that most of the music on these recordings was never cleared from a licensing point of view.

Of course, in Kobold's era drum corps was flying under the copyright radar and copyright holders were either unaware of these recordings or disinclined to expend their energies on a "mom and pop" enterprise for what would have been (in their view) very little return in any case.

To be clear, they were always entitled to these royalties and licensing fees but the tracking mechanisms were not nearly as advanced as they have become. Releasing these recordings today without legal permisssions in place would be a clear violation of copyright, easily discovered.

Naturally there are solutions to this dilemma, but those require time and expense on the DCI side, and the potential earnings would not justify the effort.

Now, if someone would take on this job (negotiating with rights holders) on a pro bono  basis...Any volunteers?

From an archival point of view, these early corps recordings by Kobold, Wateska, Stetson Richmond...etc. are priceless. Perhaps an agreement could be reached to allow them to be treated as "scholarly research", not sold as copies but made available for digital listening via a subscription scheme, fees being divided between the rights holders and a drum corps entity like DCI. The administrative logistics of this are daunting, but it is possible.

Would be nice to be able to hear me and my corps from the 70's once again before it's to late! For those that were in top 12 corps, you can find recordings but for those of us in A Class land it's hard. Yes my corps is on two or three but the two I want are 1975 and 1976. I know 76 is out there because Ken sent me a cassette almost 40 years ago when I was in the Army. Sadly those cassette's deteriorated and are lost