Phantom 2005 -- "Rhapsody"

I've been listening to this show a lot lately, and it's really beginning to win me over. It's got a fun, inventive score, a solid hornline, and particularly with the keyboard work, you can hear that the 2006 drum title was no fluke. And I still maintain that the tap shoes are the most inspired use of amplification to date.

It may not have the raw power of 2003, or the dramatic visuals of 2006, but this is one #### good show, and I'm just curious why no one mentions it more.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to this show a lot lately, and it's really beginning to win me over. It's got a fun, inventive score, a solid hornline, and particularly with the keyboard work, you can hear that the 2006 drum title was no fluke. And I still maintain that the tap shoes are the most inspired use of amplification to date.

It may not have the raw power of 2003, or the dramatic visuals of 2006, but this is one #### good show, and I'm just curious why no one mentions it more.

Don't confuse the lack of repeated discussion for a lack of appreciation. :)

The show got tons of discussion in 2005 and into 2006. I'd attribute the lack of discussion now to the fact that it's 2007.

But I agree, it was a wonderful show!

when i think of that show, i think "solid", in all aspects. though i've noticed, over time, this show has grown "off" of me. repeated listenings has slowly but surely made me like the show less and less for some reason...

when i think of that show, i think "solid", in all aspects. though i've noticed, over time, this show has grown "off" of me. repeated listenings has slowly but surely made me like the show less and less for some reason...

Same for me, I think it's because the melodies are so familiar to most of us -- probably Gershwin's two best known big works...it gets long in the tooth quickly. It's not Phantom's fault...I have the same problem with Scouts 85's 'Rhapsody' arrangement.

And because it's so repetitive. 2003 and 2006 were a similar formular, but offered far more contrast between different sections of the show. If I could hum over the internet, I'd sing you the same basic line that was repeated ad naseum throughout the 2005 show. It was a great performance, solid all-around, but the show doesn't take me anywhere.

I think 05 is very solid. Maybe because it is between 03-06 it doesn't quite get the credit it deserves. And besides, with music that is so common, people may always compare it to another year that the same corps or another corps played it. I will be curious to see if Firebird is arranged a bit different this year.

I liked '05 more than '06. In fact, I don't even have a recording of the '06 show...

Edited by Carl306

I liked '05 more '06. In fact, I don't even have a recording of the '06 show...

:worthy: