Phantom 2005 -- "Rhapsody"

Phantom 05 is one of the top played shows on my ipod, and I think it is my favorite arrangement of the two melodies I have heard from any ensemble.

Also, I was in the audience at 05 finals and I would have to agree that the crowd response was the loudest for that show than any other that night.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As for '05, maybe it wasn't as ambitious or as classic as '06. But I play it all the time if only to hear that wonderous Kentonesque chord. Drum corps can always use more Kenton chords.
??

Clarify, please.

Out of the last 4 years, I honestly felt 05 was Phantom's weakest show. The music was so much better in 03,04 and 06. Those are great shows. The 05 show in my opinion was very weak, musically and visually. The kids performed it well, but in my opinion it just wasn't written to the level of the 03,04 or 06 shows. I like Gershwin music, but just don't feel it always translates to the field very well. And I just didn't care for the arrangement of the music in 05.

Out of the last 4 years, I honestly felt 05 was Phantom's weakest show. The music was so much better in 03,04 and 06. Those are great shows. The 05 show in my opinion was very weak, musically and visually. The kids performed it well, but in my opinion it just wasn't written to the level of the 03,04 or 06 shows. I like Gershwin music, but just don't feel it always translates to the field very well. And I just didn't care for the arrangement of the music in 05.

Nah, 04 was performed worse than that.

04 is a great Phantom show, but doesn't hold a candle to 05. And I'm not especially fond of 05.

I think 2005 is the best show since 1993, with the exception of 2001. Sorry, but it's the only one that gets my blood flowing in such an intense way. Beautiful hornline, wonderful guard, great percussion, clever visual...it's the total package.

??

Clarify, please.

Apologies, I don't have my CD at hand, so I had to refer to a previous post in an '05 topic (which I started - that thread here), which said:

I loved in Phantom's show during the crescendo in the slow Rhapsody section (6-7 minutes in, maybe?) how those chords are reminiscent of Stan Kenton. Do you know what I mean? It's a bright moment yet the chords are somehow off-kilter, somehow tinged with melancholy or maybe even menace.

The '05 show had a lot of magic in it (one thing I felt missing from the '06 production). A few Kenton-like chords was magic on top of magic for me.

HH

Brasswise, 2005 Phantom Regiment had one of the most ambitious and risky horn books out there in terms of stylistic approaches.

It's a very enjoyable show to listen to... It reminds me a lot of Tom and Jerry.

Apologies, I don't have my CD at hand, so I had to refer to a previous post in an '05 topic (which I started - that thread here), which said:

The '05 show had a lot of magic in it (one thing I felt missing from the '06 production). A few Kenton-like chords was magic on top of magic for me.

HH

Check. Yeah, that's a nice section. Chords slightly off-kilter, rhythms slightly off kilter . . . it's a good example of why I find the show so much fun, musically. It's almost Variations on Some Themes of Gershwin.

It's actually the best coordinated show they have done in a while, IMO. The design of the flags, guard uniforms and drill were near perfect for the music. I found it much more appealing than this year's show, where I kept trying to figure out what the hell everythng was symbolizing.