Italian girl hoping to star learning the snare

Hey to everybody,

i think and i hope to be in right place... :drool:

I'm an italian girl who love the percussion but in particular i love the snare, I saw a marching band last year that i went to the states and was love at first sight...i loved the percussion since i was a little girl but i never realized how much till last year...

So i logged in this forum, hoping to find some good people to chat with and maybe learn something...

so if u have any suggestion well i'm here waiting any information...

With what should i start? a real snare or just with a pad? which are the best sticks? anything...

well thanks to all

talk soon

Vero

Ps: my msn is djtaz23@hotmail.it if u wanna chat just say hi

Hey Vero!

I am not a percussionist, (just a former brass player who now teaches marching and visual) but I wanted to chime in and say "Welcome to the Forum"

:)

By the way, I am 25% Sicilian (my mother is half Sicilian)... but I know that may not count as having true Italian blood... depending on who you ask. B)

Hey thanks

to all that have wrote me...

I finally got my first pad today :doh:, a Basix, it's not a famous brand but it's ok, it works..

but now i need a metronome, any suggestion? which could fit me? what should a metronome have, which featurings must have???:doh:

and is there any good book i could buy to start learning???

thanks for everything

Cheers

Vero

Hey thanks

to all that have wrote me...

I finally got my first pad today :doh:, a Basix, it's not a famous brand but it's ok, it works..

but now i need a metronome, any suggestion? which could fit me? what should a metronome have, which featurings must have???:doh:

and is there any good book i could buy to start learning???

thanks for everything

Cheers

Vero

Hi Vero.

For a metronome, I'd look for a wide range of tempos and multiple time signatures and subdivisions to be able to practice in any speed and feel (triplet, eighth and sixteenths etc). To keep from driving your family crazy I'd strongly suggest one that has an earphone jack.

This is a good page to check out different rudiments: http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html

Have fun!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by kusankusho

Welcome to DCP!

I visited many months near Verona when my sister was stationed in the US Air Force at the NATO HQ in Verona and mi cognato was stationed at Aviano. They lived in Castel Nuovo as the only Americans in that small town near Lago di Garda.

I'm a horn player; others can help better than me. Keep your enthusiasm and energy. There are fantastic drum and bugle corps in Germany and good marching bands near Roma.

Vero,

Welcome to DCP, I'm also not a percussionist so I'm not able to give much help either, other than recommending what Jim has already suggested in the way of getting a good metronome... (looks like us brass players are a little quicker to welcome you to DCP though.. b**bs ) I've also sent an invitation to add you to my MSN IM buddy list. (SunDM818283)

Good luck with your search for fellow percussionist, there are a lot of them here and you will get a lot of great advise from them. (like the advise from Jim)

Yours in Corps,

Tony B)

Edited by TennTux

Welcome to DCP, I am a percussion teacher currently working in Japan. There are pleanty of books to help you out as well as other forums. The best advise anyone can give you is to practice, practice and practice.