Tips for the Rookies of 2007

music

Someone once suggested the American Beauty soundtrack to me.

In 2005, I fell asleep to The Album Leaf most nights. I listened one of the older albums, but Into the Blue Again, their most recent effort, is quite excellent.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone once suggested the American Beauty soundtrack to me.

In 2005, I fell asleep to The Album Leaf most nights. I listened one of the older albums, but Into the Blue Again, their most recent effort, is quite excellent.

In retrospect, I suggest learning to sleep with out the use of a personal audio device. Bring ear plugs and use them when possible. After 4 yrs high school marching band, 4 years drum corps, and 4 years in the military. My ears have taken some damage.

Exposing your ears to extra damage especially in the form of headphones and a personal audio device. Even for short periods causes damage to your ears.

good call on listening to explosions in the sky.

broken social scene's first album, "feel good lost," is another good ambient, soundscapey album that's good to fall asleep too.

more good cds for sleeping, if anyone is interested:

adem - "homesongs" (my favorite cd, along with 'ok computer' by radiohead, though the adem cd is much better to sleep to)

vetiver (self titled cd)

kings of convenience - "riot on an empty street" or "quiet is the new loud"

nick drake - "five leaves left" (and pretty much everything else)

sufjan stevens - "greetings from michigan" (enjoy his illinois cd when you dont mind being awake)

anything by sigur ros

anything by thievery corporation, though they might not work for everyone

anything by iron and wine (their songs all kind of sound the same anyway)

feist - "let it die"

some erykah badu wouldn't hurt.

most ben harper music

....yeah....i do hope some people take or at least look into some of these suggestions, i assure you theyre highly worthwhile/enjoyable. sleeping well on the bus, aside from obviously being really good for you on tour, is great when done well. :)

Man, I wish I coulda listened to my own music during my marching years ('79-'80). :blink:

Y'see, we didn't have iPods or even Walkmans you young whippersnappers! On our bus in '79, a contra player tapped into the bus' power supply and mounted a car stereo over the seat. For the whole tour, you could make a "request" but you were usually subject to said contra's musical taste. Of course, the dude was all over the map. Part Prog Head, Part New Waver (may as well have been a communist), Part Old School Drum Corps. In '80, SCV got the new buses (that they still use, I believe), so he didn't need to tap into the electricity. Instead, a stereo was mounted up front. But contra "Paul" was still in charge of the single source of tuneage.

Let's see if I can make up an imaginary playlist which simulates what Paul would play for us:

1. "Animals" (the entire record) Pink Floyd

2. 1974 Oakland Crusaders

3. "Roundabout" Yes

4. "Watching the Detectives" Elvis Costello

5. 1978 Santa Clara Vanguard - Link to copyright material removed. - mg

6. "Dance on a Volcano" or really ANYTHING by Genesis that was Pre-"Duke" era. (We didn't like Duke. Duke Sucked. The LAMB baby, the LAMB!)

7. 1975 Madison Scouts

Joe Jackson (yeah, he was considered "punk" then)

9. "Dance This Mess Around" B-52s (way over the top at the time)

10. Various SCV Drum Solos: Lezghinka (usually), Clocks, Birds of Fire, Stone Ground Seven, etc.

Bonus: SCV Shows from 1972-1980. Also actual classical music that SCV played: Khatchaturian and Copland (Paul spared the Fiddler, though. THANK YOU m'man!). Jeez, music from those years is still seared into my brain.

P.S. We didn't have no stinkin' cell phones, laptops or DVD players neither. You were lucky if you got a single letter on "mail stop" days or had enough coins to "phone home". On your day off, you could go to a movie. But when you're 16 and in Montreal, why waste time with that when you've got Quebequois girls to chase. ^0^

By the way Jared, I'm a 44 year old dude (Go KINGSMEN!) but I really like your taste in music. Drum corps folks are like that in general. Sigur Ros is godhead. :worthy:

Edited by Michelle

Man, I wish I coulda listened to my own music during my marching years ('79-'80). :blink:

Y'see, we didn't have iPods or even Walkmans you young whippersnappers! On our bus in '79, a contra player tapped into the bus' power supply and mounted a car stereo over the seat. For the whole tour, you could make a "request" but you were usually subject to said contra's musical taste. Of course, the dude was all over the map. Part Prog Head, Part New Waver (may as well have been a communist), Part Old School Drum Corps. In '80, SCV got the new buses (that they still use, I believe), so he didn't need to tap into the electricity. Instead, a stereo was mounted up front. But contra "Paul" was still in charge of the single source of tuneage.

Let's see if I can make up an imaginary playlist which simulates what Paul would play for us:

1. "Animals" (the entire record) Pink Floyd

2. 1974 Oakland Crusaders

3. "Roundabout" Yes

4. "Watching the Detectives" Elvis Costello

5. 1978 Santa Clara Vanguard - Link to copyright material removed. - mg

6. "Dance on a Volcano" or really ANYTHING by Genesis that was Pre-"Duke" era. (We didn't like Duke. Duke Sucked. The LAMB baby, the LAMB!)

7. 1975 Madison Scouts

Joe Jackson (yeah, he was considered "punk" then)

9. "Dance This Mess Around" B-52s (way over the top at the time)

10. Various SCV Drum Solos: Lezghinka (usually), Clocks, Birds of Fire, Stone Ground Seven, etc.

Bonus: SCV Shows from 1972-1980. Also actual classical music that SCV played: Khatchaturian and Copland (Paul spared the Fiddler, though. THANK YOU m'man!). Jeez, music from those years is still seared into my brain.

P.S. We didn't have no stinkin' cell phones, laptops or DVD players neither. You were lucky if you got a single letter on "mail stop" days or had enough coins to "phone home". On your day off, you could go to a movie. But when you're 16 and in Montreal, why waste time with that when you've got Quebequois girls to chase. ^0^

By the way Jared, I'm a 44 year old dude (Go KINGSMEN!) but I really like your taste in music. Drum corps folks are like that in general. Sigur Ros is godhead. :blink:

thanks a lot, i appreciate it.

i think its a fair trade-off. i get my ipod and cell phone, you get to go to canada/canadian girls, and G hornlines. :)

the contra player had surprisingly good taste in music too, apparently. i wouldnt have minded most of that.

.....scv's busses are from 1980? :worthy:

thanks a lot, i appreciate it.

i think its a fair trade-off. i get my ipod and cell phone, you get to go to canada/canadian girls, and G hornlines. :)

the contra player had surprisingly good taste in music too, apparently. i wouldnt have minded most of that.

.....scv's busses are from 1980? :rolleyes:

Yeah. They look to be the same ones. I'm sorry you guys don't get to tour in Canada these days. There were a lot of Canadian corps back then. Think the drinkin' age was only, um, as long as you could reach the bar you'd prob'ly be OK. So, you could get into a lot of trouble on your free day in Canada! Yes, Paul had good taste. I still chase Canadian (and other) girls and play G bugles. I'm playing with the Kingsmen Alumni Corps playin' a twin piston Dynasty. See ya at DCI!

Dont suck