The Cadets, and Blue Devils in Europe

bishtom

Hey don't sweat it..Hop will just pass the price on to the kids.  In 2001 when they went out to california, dues, (tour fee, tuition, whatever) were in the range of $3k!

Where did you come up with that number?? Not true.

Must have been a LOT of "whatever"...involving a...er...young lady named Bubbles.

B) :angry::angry:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you feel the same way if The Cavaliers were going?

Yes. I'd feel the same no matter who was going.

Don't get me wrong, it's great exposure for drum corps when these corps make these trips, but if they do end up going, I don't to hear one single organization complain about the cost of the trip to Denver in 2004. Just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, it's great exposure for drum corps when these corps make these trips, but if they do end up going, I don't to hear one single organization complain about the cost of the trip to Denver in 2004. Just my opinion.

That's like saying that because my neighbor can afford to travel to Europe, I had better not complain about the cost for me to do the same.

Ok, let me voice my opinion. On one hand I think its cool that they go to Europe to promote the activity. But what I don't like is that the Cadets went to California in 2001 which is only 2 years ago. The last time the Crossmen went to California - 1983 according to the alumni page. That is one year after I was born and I am aging out this year. 20 years since we went over the rockies and saw the other ocean. But yet the Cadets are going across the ocean to another continent. George Hopkins once asked what can he do to improve the Crossmen - How about putting us infront of Cadets every now and then.

Alas I am preaching to the choir so I guess I am just going to have to accept the fact and be happy for them.

Edited by CrossmenBaritone

:( Hey don't sweat it..Hop will just pass the price on to the kids.  In 2001 when they went out to california, dues, (tour fee, tuition, whatever) were in the range of $3k!

Marcus.... I love ya man, but you really need to know what you are talking about before you post an inaccuracy like this. It's simply untrue.

:( My apologies..I based my info on second-hand sources..My apologies to the Cadets and YEA!

I do know that is not cheap to march there..amongst the most expensice in drum corps.

That's like saying that because my neighbor can afford to travel to Europe, I had better not complain about the cost for me to do the same.

No comment... yet. I'm going to wait and see what happens when Denver comes up. Until then, this is locked up in my memory for future reference.

Edited by skajerk

...then why can't we have DCI on the WEST COAST if corps can travel to Europe?

Wait, let me see if I got this straight.

Someone seriously made an arguement that the majority of the corps (or even just the DIV 1 corps) have the resources to get across the rockies for a west coast finals BASED ON the fact that BLUE DEVILS and CADETS can afford to go to Europe. ;)^

God help the activity if DCI starts making tour decisions based on what a corps that charges 2k to march can afford to do.

As for the Cadets and Blue Devils going to Europe, good for them (no sarcasm intended). The stateside shows will miss them, but the rest of the corps will still put on great shows.

My point (however poorly presented) was hitting the ago-old complaint that DCI has nevber attempted to come all the way to the left coast. Keep in mind that corps from back east made the trip as far back at 1979 (both Spirit AND Crossmen...events on that trip are one reason why the corps share a special relationship).

I won't get on the soapbox, as this is the wrong thread to do it...and the opinions of MANY west coast-based corps fans are well known.

Mainland Euope think yourself lucky, the last time England had a DCI-corps visit was the Madison Scouts in 1988 (who ofcourse went on to win DCI finals), although we did have the Empire Statesmen visit us in 1998 (of course, they then returned home to win DCA finals).... wait a minute.. Why dont more corps come over here, guranteed championship victory :)

It would be great if both Cadets and Devils would visit England, both have large numbers of alumni here (especially Cadets, who could probably field a full-size corps of British alumni).... I know BD tried to get DCUK to sponsor them in 2000 during their European visit, I hope this isnt the plan this time as it would financially cripple DCUK.... Iheard BD might try to compete in the 2004 world showband championships in England, is this still the plan???? (btw the last corps to win this title in England was Empire Statesmen in 1998)

Edited by East

On the one hand, I think it's great that Europe is going to get two of DCI's best. It will be a great experience for both the members, and the EU fans.

On the other, I agree whole-heartedly with my buddy SkaJerk in that too many Eastern groups/fans complain about coming to the West Coast. Hey, we've been going to Buffalo/Orlando/Boston/Atlanta/Miami/Montreal ETC. every year since the last time DCI has even attempted to move out this way (and, no...DENVER IS NOT THE WEST COAST).

I read previous posts here and elsewhere opining that DCI plays favorites (after all, they do the scheduling - they dictate which groups go where, for the most part). Frankly, I'm really getting tired of it!

I'm all for BD/Cadets going to Europe in 2004. HOWEVER...DCI had better find it in their infinite wisdom to finally send some groups that have never been to the West Coast. Bluecoats, Glassmen, Carolina Crown, Magic, Colts, Boston Crusaders: The West Coast wants the chance to cheer for you here...Crossmen, come back - we miss you; Phantom Regiment: CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU OUT HERE FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1981.

That's all for me...