Scouts 07 Drumline

MJN

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with this edition of Madison. Kashmir is a bold choice and I hope the arrangement works. Concerned that there isn't a whole lot of material there to draw from, but it's a powerful piece and has some screamer potential. Reminds me of when they did Queen back in the 70's, ahead of it's time and underappreciated. Power rock pieces are hard to pull off. Not sure if horns can compete with the grit of Robert Plant, but if the arrangement is dastardly (as it MUST be or it totally won't work) it could redefine the Scouts in a big way. Unfortunately, no matter what, I don't think it will score well. Kashmir doesn't offer much opportunity for mindlessly chromatic 16th note runs to nowhere. But, it should should be a cool opener.

Why so few returning vets? I get the big change of management and all, but it's more extreme than expected.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with this edition of Madison. Kashmir is a bold choice and I hope the arrangement works. Concerned that there isn't a whole lot of material there to draw from, but it's a powerful piece and has some screamer potential. Reminds me of when they did Queen back in the 70's, ahead of it's time and underappreciated. Power rock pieces are hard to pull off. Not sure if horns can compete with the grit of Robert Plant, but if the arrangement is dastardly (as it MUST be or it totally won't work) it could redefine the Scouts in a big way. Unfortunately, no matter what, I don't think it will score well. Kashmir doesn't offer much opportunity for mindlessly chromatic 16th note runs to nowhere. But, it should should be a cool opener.

Why so few returning vets? I get the big change of management and all, but it's more extreme than expected.

I initially had the same concerns about Kashmir when I first heard the design team talking about using it as part of the program. However, I've heard John Georgeson's arrangement, and it's brilliant. It's powerful, technical and flat-out cool. Fans will love it, judges will appreciate it. And, yes, I think it will redefine Madison. As for the percussion arrangement, Roger Carter has done a terrific job. All I can say is that he writes some really creative beats. Combined with the drill concepts Allen Joanis showed me, I think it's going to be an "instant classic." This isn't false hype, guys, there are some really good things happening with the Scouts.

About the returning vets . . . I can't speak for those who chose not to return, but I can assume that it's more than just the management change. The entire drum staff from 2006 is gone. Most left prior to the management change, a few chose not to return once the change was announced. It seems these days that kids are loyal to instructors, not organizations.

On Friday I had an opportunity to speak with Roger Carter about the line, and he told me that he has been supremely impressed with the work ethic and heart of the guys who are there. I asked him to rank their heart on a sale of 1-10. Without hesitation, he said "Ten. No question."

Steve Powers

Advisor to the Executive Director

Madison Scouts

I also was at camp yesterday. Drum line worked extremely hard - no talking during the rehearsal and very attentive to the excellent instruction that was taking place. I talked to Chris Theo - he said that Roger Carter's writing is awesome and very, very musical. (Those who know Chris will instantly be pleased - he doesn't throw compliments like that around indiscriminately - he was SUPER excited about the show.)

The horn arrangement of John Georgeson is awesome as well. Plenty of notes, for those of you who are concerned. Plenty of screaming sops (oops, I'm sorry, trumpets) for those of you (like me) who get into that. Can't wait to hear the entire ensemble play later today. I heard the sops rehearse with John Schipper (again, those who know the corps will be EXTREMELY pleased to know that he is involved), and they were working very hard as well - they were soaking up his instruction. Sop line has returning vets. Sounded great!

It will be an exciting year!

Edited by msesq

It's good to hear some news out of Madison that isn't laced with any panic or pessimism. :)

Don't worry, that'll come later from someone who heard it from somebodies elses best friends brothers, sister who heard via the drum corps grapevine that ...... :doh:

Edited by ODBC

Thanx for the report(s). Dont know Roger but with the other guys, I can say "Scouts have class act Alum's that are really great teachers!" I'm excited!

I also was at camp yesterday. Drum line worked extremely hard - no talking during the rehearsal and very attentive to the excellent instruction that was taking place. I talked to Chris Theo - he said that Roger Carter's writing is awesome and very, very musical. (Those who know Chris will instantly be pleased - he doesn't throw compliments like that around indiscriminately - he was SUPER excited about the show.)

The horn arrangement of John Georgeson is awesome as well. Plenty of notes, for those of you who are concerned. Plenty of screaming sops (oops, I'm sorry, trumpets) for those of you (like me) who get into that. Can't wait to hear the entire ensemble play later today. I heard the sops rehearse with John Schipper (again, those who know the corps will be EXTREMELY pleased to know that he is involved), and they were working very hard as well - they were soaking up his instruction. Sop line has returning vets. Sounded great!

It will be an exciting year!

Man am I loving these reports, it's awfully quiet from the "haters" though, I wonder if giving honest observations and giving details instead of just saying "they sound good" keeps people that want to talk down about something they haven't even heard from talking.

I think this is going to be a fun summer for all who are involved and given the opportunity perform or watch/listen to this show.

Man am I loving these reports, it's awfully quiet from the "haters" though, I wonder if giving honest observations and giving details instead of just saying "they sound good" keeps people that want to talk down about something they haven't even heard from talking.

I think this is going to be a fun summer for all who are involved and given the opportunity perform or watch/listen to this show.

When I marched back in the sixties, the Madison Scouts (Why can't anyone here use a corps full name?) were one of our most "hated" rivals. Their unfortunate use of the "West Point" uni's was a point of constant ridicule. However, we had tremendous respect for their hornline back then. and their 77 "West Side Story" show is still one of my favorite recordings.

Even if their "style" the last decade has not been entirley to my tastes, they are a class orginization and I feel they will rise back into contention for top honors.

Mike