Aerobed sale

GeorgiaGirl

The trick is to get off the bus fast enough and have it filled before your brothers and sister fall asleep.

For those who have no use for two airbeds or can't find anyone to buy the second one, Target has "Eddie Bauer" brand that look basically like that AeroSport that they usually sell for about $50 for twin, $80ish for queen (although not all corps will allow people to take larger than queen, so check before you buy). It runs on 4 D-cell batteries. Lots of people have that bed, and if your batteries run out and you don't have time to buy new ones, you can borrow someone else's, inflate yours, take them out and give them back until you get a chance to buy 4 more. They only take about a minute to inflate, and also use standard sized sheets.

Another thing that may be handy for rookies is some info about laundry day. If you can handle the weight of pre-measuring a cup of laundry powder into small ziplock baggies and packing some "bounce" dryer sheets, you can avoid the lines your fellow corps members create when buying theirs at the laundromats. You've never seen a laundromat in action, until you see it in Drum Corps action! Also, rolls of quarters, or 35mm film canisters filled with quarters are helpful, although heavy (but the load lightens as you use them up!) help eliminate the dilemma of what to do when the bill changer is out of quarters, or you're last in a line of 50 people to get change. The more quickly you can get to a washer, because you've already got your soap and quarters, the more quickly you get your laundry done.

Mark your clothes with your name or don't expect to come home with the same clothes you left for tour with. As much as you'd like to think you'll get a washer and dryer all to yourself, reality is that everyone ends up sharing, whites get washed with darks, and EVERYONE has the same underwear and socks that YOU do, so appearance alone isn't the way to keep track of your clothes.

Care packages don't get much better than when they contain brand new socks.

Bus windows can often become your friend, by attaching suction cup bins or hooks to keep track of your things. Most corps, I think, allow "decorating" of bus windows, but not all, so again, check with your corps.

EXPECT your expensive cell phone, iPod, digital camera or DVD player to get "lost" (stolen, not necessarily by another corps member, but sometimes too by passersby who explore any area they can while you're rehearsing on the field.) That's not to say those items aren't great things to take on tour, but just be cautious of leaving them out charging during the day when you aren't nearby. As much as possible, pack anything you don't want to be stolen into your backpack and take it with you to the field... keep it with you, and you're less likely to find it missing.

Small plastic boxes that fit under the seats of busses can hold your daily "needs", and if they have a handle, can be taken with you into a gym fairly easily, if you need the items they're holding. Some sort of plastic container that you can keep all your shower things inside is also helpful. Just grab it and go. Quick dry towels, available at camping places like REI are more expensive, but much less bulky, lighter in weight, absorb more water quickly and dry MUCH faster than regular towels... they don't get smelly as fast either.

Polishing cloths for brass instruments are handy to take along, too.

When you get home from tour, buy one of those plastic bins with the flip lids and mark it 'TOUR" and keep all the stuff you bought for tour in there so it's handy for the next year. Throw in things like sweat bands, gloves, under armor shirts, clothes you ONLY wear on tour, etc. Speaking of UnderArmor shirts, you can buy ones that work just as well for about $10 at WalMart. They should fit snugly.

Parents, don't be alarmed to hear that your son or daughter has lost a LOT of weight over the summer. Some people refer to Drum Corps as the best weight-loss program in existance! I personally know of kids who lost over 50 pounds!

Cool bands (those fabric bands filled with a small amount of water absorbing beads that you soak in cold water so they swell up and then you tie them around your neck or wrists) can be a blessing when rehearsing in 100 degree plus temperatures.

Sun screen, sun screen, sun screen! Another good thing to throw into a care package, as well as rubber bands (the fabric ones) or hair clips for those who use them.

I'll think of more things, I'm sure, plus, closer to the summer, people usually start up a thread of "things to pack for tour".

The trick is to get off the bus fast enough and have it filled before your brothers and sister fall asleep.

And I'm sure your brothers and sisters thanked you for that. :)

Sorry, it just did get grating later on there.... It was mainly those who chose to use the facilities, brush their teeth, comb their hair and whatever else and THEN fill up their air beds about ten minutes after everyone else was trying to get to sleep. That's what I really meant. :P

I never used an air mattress when I marched, but now that those years of carrying tenors are catching up to my back, I take one everywhere.

I always try to be courteous, and respectful of the other staff by not inflating my bed while they are trying to open their cases of beer get to sleep.

Clarification -- Checked the link again just now, and it's gone -- called the local store, and they said that the "Aerosport" model is being discontinued. As such, it's not available online. The deal is still good in all Linens 'N Things stores, however. There were plenty available at our local store yesterday.

If you want good & cheap, ever try Walmart? That's where I got mine. Queen size with built-in pillow for $35 or so.