Conquistadors Important Announcement

7 directors...Lakers slid in with an 8th place finish. :P

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. My God, ive been trying to get this passed for YEARS!!! But it always gets shot down. Look at last seasons Finalists... of the 12 spots... we had 6 different directors.... 6!!! Matt had Tri Color, Emerald Regime, and Cascade Christian. The other Matt had Kadence and Kosmos. Shannon had Mystre and Menagerie. Mitch had Cross and SoJ, and I had my Nipples ( :P ) and Bill had VK. Thats it... something IS WRONG with that!

I will say this- this is an issue that typically only affects D1. For D2 and D3, it's never been a problem. So if there's going to be any kind of restriction passed, it should only affect D1.

Sorry Toby, I was just about to post that... didnt mean to overlook your corps. :lol:

But still 7 directors. To me, thats just not right.

I will say this- this is an issue that typically only affects D1. For D2 and D3, it's never been a problem. So if there's going to be any kind of restriction passed, it should only affect D1.

Thats because most first time directors only want to do Div 1, because that is the "premiere" division. But if that means that people will have 1 Div 1 corps, then 5 Div 2 and 3 Div 3 corps, then whats the point... I will always say 1 corps per director per division... but thats just me (most of the time)

I can understand not entirely liking the set-up for off-season, because we can really just set up for a run at the beginning of the season.

Is it a disadvantage to the numerically/time challenged, sure. That's why I'm not entirely putting a lot of stock into the off-season. I have other things to worry about, so this would be the good time to work on other aspects of the activity (writing/arranging music for my corps.) Sure, I am not expecting to win, but I'll refine other things that will come in handy in the real world.

Besides, I'd rather take the title in the live season. B)

Thats because most first time directors only want to do Div 1, because that is the "premiere" division. But if that means that people will have 1 Div 1 corps, then 5 Div 2 and 3 Div 3 corps, then whats the point... I will always say 1 corps per director per division... but thats just me (most of the time)

And more power to them for wanting to start big. Having a ton of points to work with does help in learning the system. How many directors here started with just one corps? And just about all of them were Division I. As they learned the system, they expanded and created their D2/D3 corps to help solidify the league.

I know when I started, I did want to go for premier, sure, it's not how it works in DCI, but, we aren't DCI, we're DCPI. We have already made it where you can't share captions between corps in the same division. This should alleviate the problem of getting multiple corps from one director into finals.

Let this season finish before we change the rules again. Maybe that proposal will bare fruit.

I too have on many occsions tried to get the 1 corps per divsion passed but was always defeated. Part of the problem is that when rules come up for vote only the most active directors vote. Most of those really active directors have multiple corps and don't want to fold them or move them to another divison, so it doesn't pass.

Thus I went to the no shared captions rule, which passed but still got a lot of flack for it. My impression is that there are directors hell bent on DCPI domination. I can almost understand if there were a entry fee with cash prizes but it's not. We all do this for fun, and I don't want to loose the fun aspect of it. When the fun is gone, so will I. Either that or I just stick with the live seasons and leave the number crunching to those who like to do it.

No... It wont punish the top directors. I would of won season 5 with one corps :P In season 4, I had 1 corps per divison and swept the live season. Now lets say i had menagerie in div1 and made finals... how did that help the league? Nope... didn't help one bit.

The hard part is folding your corps or picking which corps to drop a div. The end result is more directors in the big dance and more corps in the league. More happy directors and a more active league...THAT MEANS MORE FUN FOR ALL!

Now I have a fantastic idea for an all age fantasy league! It would use captions and points! I'll post it tomorrow:)

OK, I could not wait, so here is my DCPA idea.

There is two parts to the season: regular season and finals week!

or

Regular is points ala VCL. Every corps has the same points on week one. You earn points for placement and caption wins. You do this till finals week.

Finals week uses real captions but not everyone has the same points! Salary cap has a base but you got your bonus points from the regular season added to it!

This is realistic... Some corps impove while some do not as much. The best corps in the regular season have the best shoot.

Since we have finals week captions, we can use real scores and knowing dca is to your advantage!

I'll write a detail version if anybody wishes.

Here is how I feel, after stepping back for a while.

During the off-season, it is very easy for someone who knows past DCI history, to have an advantage over a lot of corps directors. One can look at a corps history over the season-s and almost "pick the winning captions" or set themselves up for it throughout the season. During the live season, it is always a hit and miss from night to night. Directors don't know and can not see in advance what is going to happen to a corps score in a caption. This is why I prefer the live season, because it puts everyone on the same playing field. You don't have to be an "expert" on DCI corps, to understand the live season. You can follow it daily, and see it happening...Whereas with the off season, you can look at day 1 of a corps starting, and day 22, and see if that corps is worth your while.

I too, would like to see more involved in terms of how things are scored. What it comes down to, is this is just a numbers game, and to be honest, it will only be the same "7" people who win it every year, unless more "experienced DCI" people come play.

Remember when I had my pre-season show two seasons ago? I mixed it up a bit, with having directors choose captions, as well as doing a show write up. This allowed directors who were not good with choosing DCI captions, to also have a place to write up about their show to earn points in their respective captions. So even a corps got a low GE score, if their show write up had some flavor to it, they might earn something there. I know of another fantasy circuit that does this for their marching band circuit. They have directors pick areas of strength, and those are the areas in which that ensemble does not have to put as much thought into--but that league also has their membership do show write ups, and rehearsal logs as part of their scoring process. How can that be judged? Well, that is something that YOU as active directors can help decide.

But personally, I think it should be more than just a numbers game. I think we might draw in MORE people, because it would tailor to more.

I also agree, that we need to put a cap on things now. Before, I never saw it this way, but after looking back and seeing how things are going--it needs to happen. Just as in any fantasy league, everyone always wants to do the premier division... But, it always ends up being that no one wants to fold or make a corps go down a division. "Why should we have to? we have been around for...." Well, no one is saying you have to give up a corps. Perhaps you can have one of your division I corps compete during the live season, and one compete during the off season. I know many directors who will oppose this, but it makes no sense to have two corps being run by the same director, competing against each other... It defeats the purpose... you are essentially competing against yourself. If you want competition, then recruit new members to join division I, or whatever division.

I'll be supporting the proposal of 1 corps per division, per director. Other leagues have this rule in place, because it prevents flooding, and it keeps it more competitive at the same time. I do remember the season where I had 3 of my division I corps in finals, and 3 other directors had two of theirs in finals--well that really is not fair, and we should have finals represent 12 directors with 12 different corps--I mean DCI is that way too. As much of a fantasy this is, there needs to be some more boundaries.

You can have your two corps per division, but you can operate one set during one season, and the other during another, if you have more than 1 per division.

Matt