34 + ME

if all goes well Jim, there WILL be more shows,...................and more member corps in MCA!

D'oh :angry: post corrected.....

And judging by the corps coming to my hometown Mini Corps is (are?) in a growth mode.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....and that decision applies only to the Northeast.

I guess my opinion differs from yours, Tom. I don't see the 35-member minimum "growing the activity". I find the DCA-South model (which still allows corps with under 35 members) to be more growth-focused. Of course, you could argue that making show sponsors happier "grows" more shows - but it doesn't grow more corps.

And which is in shorter supply? Seems to me that the NE has enough shows. Most of those shows only have five competing corps, though. Quite a few only get three or four competitors, and require several alumni corps performances just to create a viable event. Sounds like a couple more corps would be helpful.

I think you've hit on it yourself.................growth focused for regions outside the NE is the ENTIRE impotis, (sp) IMO.............and South, Central, West, whatever, are being served by their regions in having the added division,................in an effort to grow the corps involved,,......................I mean honestly, wouldn't ANY corps want to grow to have at least 35 members? how about 65?, and then ultimately an open class corps?

I"m with the sage veteran Gary M.

what he said...

You guys are so cool to offer your help to a corps that falls short of the new ridiculous minimum rule. We marched 39 last season and won Class A. Why wouldn't the board see that it is possible to march a decent show with less than 35 members? Fortunately, we should have no problems getting above the minimum this year.

I agree S1. And I believe we took 2nd in Class A to the Grenadiers in 2004 with less than 35 people. Quantity does not equal Quality. That is a fact the Govenaires have been propagating around the country for years. It's too bad the circuit we strive so hard to support does not feel that organizations with less than 35 members are valid, it's actually rather sad. I think they have forgotten their roots. So we deal, no choice...right.

Is this only at prelims/finals or any DCA sponsored show? I had a hard time figuring that out from the 14 pages of posts. My concern would be a situation where the 35th member of a corps is unable to perform, especially when on the road for a few days. If Glenn in the Euphonium line twists his ankle during rehearsal in South Milwaukee and is unable to perform that evening, does the entire corps also not perform? Or is this rule simply stating, Don't even think about performing at Prelims if you have less than 35 people. Other shows don't matter. Because that's no way to talk either.

I mean honestly, wouldn't ANY corps want to grow to have at least 35 members? how about 65?, and then ultimately an open class corps?

I used to think that way too. But I've noticed over the years that as some corps grew to push the 128/135 limits of DCI/DCA, others chose to remain at some other intermediate size. Again, I look at the Govenaires as an example. They have been in the 25-50 member range for the past 25 years. They have also fielded an entertaining corps every one of those 25 years. From what I have heard from their members, they actually don't want to grow to become a 128-member open-class behemoth. I hope we can respect that.

Why is it that so many people seem to think that the samller corps don't want to grow? I understand that there are some that, for financial/logistical reasons, do not want to become a 100+ member corps, but everyone seems to make the simple statement that the small corps need to recruit more.

Do you not think that they are recruiting? It also seems to me that the same people making the statement to recruit more are from larger corps, or regions with larger corps, and seem to think that players grow on trees and there are always more to be had somewhere. That may be true in some regions, but not all.

To simply say recruit more / harder / etc, is very ignorant and makes the assumption that they are not already recruiting as hard as possible.

DCA made a great move to start Class"A", but now they seem to be taking a step backwards by saying you can't be a small corps and come into our stadium. I applaud those that argued to get the number lowered and wish you could have been more successful to get it to 25. Thank you.

I guess we are just going to have to deal with the fact that those corps that work hard, and try to grow to the minimum but dont make it will not be allowed and their efforts will simply be tossed aside like a piece of trash. That is unfortunate.

Edited by Just Another Sop

Fill the gap.

That seems to be the biggest "DOH" in all of this.

Im trying to figure out what the rule submitters were thinking.

Didnt anybody say "So what about the 22-34 member corps?"

Up the limit for Mini-corps or lower the limit for Class A.

Fill the Gap.

Simple, straight-forward, logical.

Include ALL who want to participate.

Not one of DCAs smarter moves, IMO

Fill the gap.

That seems to be the biggest "DOH" in all of this.

Im trying to figure out what the rule submitters were thinking.

Didnt anybody say "So what about the 22-34 member corps?"

Up the limit for Mini-corps or lower the limit for Class A.

Fill the Gap.

Simple, straight-forward, logical.

Include ALL who want to participate.

I've said that same thing MANY times in this thread and teh rules one....

I agree S1. And I believe we took 2nd in Class A to the Grenadiers in 2004 with less than 35 people. Quantity does not equal Quality. That is a fact the Govenaires have been propagating around the country for years. It's too bad the circuit we strive so hard to support does not feel that organizations with less than 35 members are valid, it's actually rather sad. I think they have forgotten their roots. So we deal, no choice...right.

There is no question the Governaires are Biggest little corps out there, when I saw the corps for the first time when they made the first trip to Scranton, I thought, now there is a corps that knows how to do small BIG, and talked about the great example of how to do it to the local D3 corps, who actually had the chance to be in many of the same shows with them in the MW that same season...............but as Smoothie said, last year you were at the member level we are now discussing, and won the Class A title,............and from what I've recently read, Govies have eclipsed those numbers by a large percentage with the recent turnouts at rehearsals,...................are you suggesting the corps will turn people away for quality, logistical and other reasons? I certainly hope not,.........................but if so, so be it. I don't believe anyone has even remotely suggested that corps under 35 members are not valid. When you joined, were you sujected to any sort of tryout or thinning of the herd? I bet not. You have chosen to be a member of one of the coolest corps arround,...............IMO

Edited by Gary Matczak

... My concern would be a situation where the 35th member of a corps is unable to perform, especially when on the road for a few days. If Glenn in the Euphonium line twists his ankle during rehearsal in South Milwaukee and is unable to perform that evening, does the entire corps also not perform?...

I'm sure that if "Glenn" is on the frontline with his Euph, he's still the 35th member on the field.