34 + ME

I guess it's moot, since it doesn't seem like anyone in power in DCA wants to change the 35 minimum rule (or can anytime soon).

What results when a 36 member corps only has 34 members attend any given show because of conflicts. I mean if the corps has a family and school comes first policy(and possibly work too), what is DCA's policy? If said corps ends up being exhibition at said show, even though they out performed by a noticeable margin their competitor. And they're home town favorites, how does DCA justify to the audience and fans that they didn't win because they weren't allowed to compete because of a technicality? (as visions of soccer riots come to mind)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's moot, since it doesn't seem like anyone in power in DCA wants to change the 35 minimum rule (or can anytime soon).

What results when a 36 member corps only has 34 members attend any given show because of conflicts. I mean if the corps has a family and school comes first policy(and possibly work too), what is DCA's policy? If said corps ends up being exhibition at said show, even though they out performed by a noticeable margin their competitor. And they're home town favorites, how does DCA justify to the audience and fans that they didn't win because they weren't allowed to compete because of a technicality? (as visions of soccer riots come to mind)

well, in Texas, DCA-South allows corps under 35 members,.................so I agree, it is moot.

Edited by Gary Matczak

well, in Texas, DCA-South allows corps under 35 members,.................so I agree, it is moot.

But wouldn't this apply for the NE aka DCA, since there is technically no DCANE region to have regional rules?

In either case, the 35 rule changes our (smaller corps) focus. We have to recruit first, then make plans on whether to attempt attendance at DCA or not. So we no longer have the we ARE going to DCA thing in our recruitment arsenal. It's now we MIGHT (someday) go.

Having our attendance at DCA be a question in our minds, and not being able to give DCA a definitive answer until a day, a week, or month prior to DCA can only be a bad thing. Much less going through the expense of DCA just to fall one short when we get there because one or two people couldn't make it. (like getting a flight cancelled or delayed because of a hurricane, cough cough). Even if there's not a hurricane over DCA, there might be from where we are trying to come from.

In either case, the 35 rule changes our (smaller corps) focus. We have to recruit first, then make plans on whether to attempt attendance at DCA or not. So we no longer have the we ARE going to DCA thing in our recruitment arsenal. It's now we MIGHT (someday) go.

Having our attendance at DCA be a question in our minds, and not being able to give DCA a definitive answer until a day, a week, or month prior to DCA can only be a bad thing. Much less going through the expense of DCA just to fall one short when we get there because one or two people couldn't make it. (like getting a flight cancelled or delayed because of a hurricane, cough cough). Even if there's not a hurricane over DCA, there might be from where we are trying to come from.

I think the rule is a poor way to judge a performing corps. If number alone must be used the number is too high.

That being said, it is what it is for now, and all you can do is hope for more in the future. But...

Regardless of the rule - don't let it be anything that would stop you from going to Finals. Plan on it. Put it on your schedule today. Don't say "We might." Say "We are." And if the chips stack up that you don't have enough people to perform a field show, then put together a Minicorps, 15 solos, 3 ensembles, and a Chorus and have the time of your life at I&E, then have a ball watching two days of competition on the field, hanging in the lot listening to warm ups, and lurking in Souvie Row. Watch it all, check out the Alumni show, be a part of the weekend. Doing so will ensure that the folks who you've spent so much effort recruiting will be envigorated and want to go again next year. Starting out by saying "We might go" sounds far too defeatist to me, Charge forward knowing that it's where you want to go, whatever performing opportunity presents itself. Push your members into performing and let the bug catch them as it has you. The trip could make the difference in the future of the corps - on the field or not - it will be a moment that cements the group together and starts building the kind of program that you want to have.

"Having our attendance at DCA be a question in our minds, and not being able to give DCA a definitive answer until a day, a week, or month prior to DCA can only be a bad thing. Much less going through the expense of DCA just to fall one short when we get there because one or two people couldn't make it. (like getting a flight cancelled or delayed because of a hurricane, cough cough). Even if there's not a hurricane over DCA, there might be from where we are trying to come from."

Shadow 7;

Although there have been many interesting posts on this thread. The ORIGINAL idea of this thread was to let the small units know there are many of us out here that want to HELP prevent such. We may not be able to fill a spot in the line, but many are very experienced Drum Corps people that could go into a pit and do something that would appear to be a part of a show.

I my self have made that clear that, I am available to about 6 groups. (although I can only be with one Corps) AND not just at Rochester. I listed the contests I will be attending. We may not be able to change the New Rule. BUT, there is help out here for you.

Also remember, that at the Championships there will be 10 Alumni Corps. I would bet my bottom dollar that you would be able to find enough people from that group of ten to make ALL the small corps have the the 35 needed. Usualy the list of Alumni Corps is listed well inadvance of the Championships. Even a list of the Hotels the Alumni Corps are staying at is listed.

Just make sure you bring some EXTRA uniforms. (in my case an, XL top, I have Black pant's but wear 38-30, Size 7 hat, I have BOTh, Black or White gloves, and Black or White shoes. I will be attending Rockmart,Nashville, and DCA Rochester)

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

I think the rule is a poor way to judge a performing corps. If number alone must be used the number is too high.

That being said, it is what it is for now, and all you can do is hope for more in the future. But...

Regardless of the rule - don't let it be anything that would stop you from going to Finals. Plan on it. Put it on your schedule today. Don't say "We might." Say "We are." And if the chips stack up that you don't have enough people to perform a field show, then put together a Minicorps, 15 solos, 3 ensembles, and a Chorus and have the time of your life at I&E, then have a ball watching two days of competition on the field, hanging in the lot listening to warm ups, and lurking in Souvie Row. Watch it all, check out the Alumni show, be a part of the weekend. Doing so will ensure that the folks who you've spent so much effort recruiting will be envigorated and want to go again next year. Starting out by saying "We might go" sounds far too defeatist to me, Charge forward knowing that it's where you want to go, whatever performing opportunity presents itself. Push your members into performing and let the bug catch them as it has you. The trip could make the difference in the future of the corps - on the field or not - it will be a moment that cements the group together and starts building the kind of program that you want to have.

Wish I would have said that. Kinda like being a NASCAR fan and not going to the race just because you can't drive a race car. Or something like that......... :lookaround:

I would now like to share with all of you out there in DCP land my official stance and opinion regarding the recent rule passage requiring a minimum membership of 35 to compete in DCA:

It sucks.