"Everybody's So Serious Today"

So, my wife and I are sitting here in our office while I rush to get my homework done for tonight's assignment (yes, I'm supposed to be doing homework. What, you my mother all of a sudden?). Blue Devils '94 comes up on my iTunes.

My wife turns and asks me, "Is this an alumni corps?"

Now, before you all get ticked off about that question, let me explain why she asked it because it has nothing to do with the quality level of the performance.

When I pointed out that this was '94 BD, my wife made an interesting statement. She said, "Really? There's a level of exuberance you don't hear today because everybody's trying to be so serious. That's why I thought it was something like a senior or alumni corps."

Mind you, my wife has only seen shows from the past four years, both junior and all-age, so performances from '94 are pretty new to her. It's an interesting perspective, though, and I'd like to get your thoughts on the matter.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to have to agree with the "seriousness." I think the activity as a whole takes itself too seriously, and we need some groups to break the ranks of the "top 12" and show us that it is ok to laugh at ourselves once in a while and not think we are changing the world or producing epic dramatic performances, even though often times these corps do, at the same time, it wouldn't be bad to entertain and use some good old fashioned energy.

well you know, Kevin... there is NO fun allowed in drum corps anymore...

so_crazy_062.gif

Perhaps the return of VK may spark some interest in the lighter side of life for some drum corps?

if they weren't serious about what they were doing wouldn't it end up pretty crappy?

The key is to take the work seriously without taking yourself seriously. I hear people talking about putting on the superman suit or whatever and just have to laugh. Others spew about their corps' "greatness" or whatever. In the end, no one gives a hoot. So, try to have a little fun in the process. Let your audience know that you are having fun and they might just have fun too.

We require 150 members per (my) corps. All pits must be amplified, and vocals are a must have. We need new equipment every year, and uniforms must be designed and fit for a royal coronation. If some corps cannot afford the bread then let them eat cake. No financial burden should be considered when put in competition with the magnitude of the (my) cause.

Your beloved,

Hoppy

Edited by Piper

if they weren't serious about what they were doing wouldn't it end up pretty crappy?

Bridgemen...VK...I don't recall them being very crappy...

I'm sure they were actually pretty serious, but they were serious to have fun...which is sadly lacking nowadays