Tough Corps vs. Crazy Corps

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Govies just finished their 1st official Public Performance of the year @ the St. Peter Winterfest Parade!

Temp @ step off time ~ approx 4 degrees (wind chill was ???? maybe -15)

We discovered:

* The cold doesn't stop us or our attitudes!!!! (thanks to all for your great attitude & making it fun)

* Hmmmmm, we can spin rifle with heavy/ bulky mittens

* The spit really does freeze on the end of the trumpets after the 1st time thru the parade tune

* Thanks to Jenniffer for making valve coozies..... The valves didn't freeze :)

Sorry to inform you Amber, but the valve experiment was a complete failure. The valves did freeze. We're looking to improve the model for next winter. It was a ridiculous evening. Pictures to come shortly to illustrate this craziness.

Interesting. I would have thought that the valves would not freeze due to the hot air passing through the horns. Guess it would depend on how often you play. Maybe some sort of cozie with either a chemical heat pack or parts from from an electric sock.

Not sure what playing in that sort of cold would feel like......And I hope to never find out. :worthy:

We were trying the heat packs. The experiment worked as low as fifteen degrees, but at two degrees, it failed. The hot air of the players was the only solution, but once one stops putting air through the horn, they freeze. It was quite an inconvenience and strain on the performers. But it got the job done.

We were trying the heat packs. The experiment worked as low as fifteen degrees, but at two degrees, it failed. The hot air of the players was the only solution, but once one stops putting air through the horn, they freeze. It was quite an inconvenience and strain on the performers. But it got the job done.

Heated hunting socks

If you were using chemical heat packs, I would suspect they didn't last long enough - peak heat is only about ten minutes then tails off quickly after that.

Im with Mcromik - I recall in my younger days in PA wrapping electric wool socks around/under the valve stems. It seemed to work much longer, at least in 0 to -5 range IIRC.

That's what we're thinking for next winter.

Here's photos from the parade. Enjoy!

https://mavdisk.mnsu.edu/snydej5/GovsWebPho...winterfest.html

If you were using chemical heat packs, I would suspect they didn't last long enough - peak heat is only about ten minutes then tails off quickly after that.

Ive spent a number of winters out in the cold.IF you buy they cheap wally world heat packs they will last about 30 min at peak heat but will last for hours.IF you buy some of the premium heat packs at a camping store they will last much much longer.

Neopream insulators like beer coozies are made from would be excellent warmth and valve protection.Add to that a chemical heat pack and then another layer of wool or synthetic and those puppies would never freeze.