Gay DCI Community

Hey all, I just wanted to see how big the gay community is within DCI...

What do you play?

Where did/do you play?

Did you ever have any issues that came up because you were gay?

If so, how did you deal with it?

Although I don't have experience in DCI, I've always felt a bit alienated when I was marching back in high school. I wasn't out and grew up with a very "straight laced" life through high school but for some reason still felt like a bit of an outcast. Now in college, things got a whole lot better as the maturity level of many around me increased significantly. I still have a chance for some DCA opportunities, hopefully with SFR... but I really wish I got into this much earlier!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you play?

Where did/do you play?

Although I don't have experience in DCI, I've always felt a bit alienated when I was marching back in high school. I wasn't out and grew up with a very "straight laced" life through high school but for some reason still felt like a bit of an outcast. Now in college, things got a whole lot better as the maturity level of many around me increased significantly. I still have a chance for some DCA opportunities, hopefully with SFR... but I really wish I got into this much earlier!

I did expierence DCI back in the 1970's. Back then you did not even mention that you might bi or gay. I still get #### from former alumnus, like I was doing somthing wrong like I had the plague. They all know who they are! I hope times have changed for the members of DCI today. No one deserves to be treated the way others and myself who are gay were treated and still are. Unfortunatly a lot of the alumnus I marched with, they still have some part to do with Drum Corps today. They are still as biggoted as in the past. I guess ignorance is bliss???

Edited by bobk9258

Yes there is a lot of the gay community involved in Drum Corps today, a lot of us are very good friends, from Instructors to Judges, and former alumnus of DCI, who are kind, sharing indiviguals helping one another or helping to make sure, that gay men and women of today get to enjoy all aspects of Drum Corps.

Edited by bobk9258

I'm not gay so I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting. B)

Anyway, I think the drum corps community is one of the most tolerant and accepting places to be. I know a *lot* of gay people through drum corps and my observation has been that they are treated no differently than anyone else. I've only ever been involved with drum corps since 1998 so others may have different feelings about it.

Incidentally, prior to marching drum corps I never knew a gay person. For that matter, I had rarely ever known a foreigner. With all the talk about the importance of cultural diversity nowadays I think drum corps is keepng up nicely.

Maybe in Wisconson, around Madison?, sorry I'm a lady's only guy!!!!

What do you play?

Where did/do you play?

Haven't been around the activity long, huh? Nobody take this bad, I'm not hatin'. But, yes, Novice--the gay crowd in DCI is quite apparent. Nobody seems to mind--same case back in the early/mid 90's when I was in. We made jokes, of course, but there is no difference in talent level or work ethic--that's the important thing on the field.

Although sharing the showers with Cavies after a day of rehearsal at UW-Whitewater was an experience. Are there any Cavies from that corps who remember showering with PR that day? Perhaps you could share your memories--we'll never forget the experience! (Like I said, not hatin'--we were a bunch of semi-innocent 20's--if there is such a thing in DCI!)

Maybe in Wisconson, around Madison?, sorry I'm a lady's only guy!!!!

This is all I'm going to say............

br-17875.jpg

Hey, considering the topic, maybe there's someone out there who knows a friend of mine. Guy's name is Jeremy, marched BD '94 in their AWESOME colorguard. Of all things, we met working at Wal Mart in Dallas spring '94. I say I'm marching PR that year. He says, "no way--I'm doin' BD!"

How random is that? Anyways, tell him I want my rifle back. He borrowed a rifle of mine I had from winterguard a couple years previously.

And no, I'm not gay--just have a gay friend *from* another corps and wanted to say hi. Anyone help???