Profanity/Vulgarity/Word Filter/Circumvention Guideline

I know we have a few emoticons to reflect certain words that were not suppose to use (i.e. b**bs), so as a solution (and I know this seems a little immature) but why not have emoticons for those other words that people feel they MUST say?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but then if we replace emoticons for the curse words, are we any better off than having the filters in the first place?

We still would have to think what that is supposed to represent.

My position on this whole thing, is that although I want to speak freely.... I see what John and Rich are getting at, and to a certain extent it is understandable.

what would actually be nice is if, as previously talked about in other threads, if there were a way for us to have a forum where it would take a password to get into, with proof that you are of above, o lets say 18. That way we can talk freely, and the filter issue shouldn't be a problem.

I know that is hard to do, as it is easy to say you are 18 but are actually 16 or whatever. But I'm sure in the technology these days, we can find a way to have this done. Maybe a long shot, but it would be nice.

You can have the same intent with other words and still be vulgar, that's my point I've been making.

If JohnD (has been wonderfull in any problems I have) and Rich (no issues with either) want just to remove the #'s to make the site look better then that's fine. However what is being said will still be said, in other ways. That's where it will develop problems down the road.

If vulgarity is a problem, fixing the profanity wont stop it.

My .02

Edited by CloudHype

but then if we replace emoticons for the curse words, are we any better off than having the filters in the first place?

We still would have to think what that is supposed to represent.

My position on this whole thing, is that although I want to speak freely.... I see what John and Rich are getting at, and to a certain extent it is understandable.

what would actually be nice is if, as previously talked about in other threads, if there were a way for us to have a forum where it would take a password to get into, with proof that you are of above, o lets say 18. That way we can talk freely, and the filter issue shouldn't be a problem.

I know that is hard to do, as it is easy to say you are 18 but are actually 16 or whatever. But I'm sure in the technology these days, we can find a way to have this done. Maybe a long shot, but it would be nice.

Rich, do you have a comment on this? If you do, I would be glad to hear what you have to say about it. If not, that's fine, I'm just curious on if this is feesable.

I'll make a comment of my own here...

Now I'm no internet wizard...but using what little knowledge I have...I don't see this as being all that feasible unless a paid subscription was required to get into such areas

I can't think of another way to keep out those who fake their age just to get into that

I doubt that John would ever want to start charging folks who show up, even if that charge pertains only to certain forum areas

Edited by JMS0527

Rich, do you have a comment on this? If you do, I would be glad to hear what you have to say about it. If not, that's fine, I'm just curious on if this is feesable.

Sorry, I've been gone all afternoon, hopefully I'll have a response up later.

Wouldn't you find it funny to post an emoticon that is steamy poop, a bull taking a poop, a female dog, or a donkey falling into a hole?

I'm not doubting it would be funny, but the whole discussion is about circumvention of words that aren't to be seen or known, and a picture would be just as bad as putting an "A" then ##'s. It still gives the idea of what you are saying.

If you get enough tickets and you still keep breaking the law, eventually, you get sent to jail.

The "ticket" is intended as a deterrent. If it no longer deters the behavior, then its use should be ammended (and perhaps that's what they're getting ready to announce?). Stiffer penalties must follow.

Stef

Except, Stef, I've never recieved one "ticket" here on DCP since day 1. Oh, I've had friends say "Hey, you're getting pretty hot under the collar aren't you?". To which I usually go back into the thread and say...."Hey...I've been a jerk, sorry". THAT'S HOW A COMMUNITY IS SELF-POLICED. Suspending (especially arbitrarily, without a warning is NOT condusive to a conversation space that is supposedly self policing. See comments below as to why I used the word "arbitrarily")

Honestly, I only got to about the 3rd or 4th page before I just had to comment. So if I'm repeating something someone said, I'm sorry.

I don't even know if I can coherently put my thoughts into proper paragraphs, so I'll just bullet point.

#1) The admins need training by people who are seasoned forum administrators. Period.

#2) The "powers that be" around here shouldn't be people with a power issue. Sorry, Rich. You are, in fact, one of those guys that gets a little crazy when handed a little power. I mean that friend to friend.

#3) Emma said it best. Why have a filter and then ban people for using the filter. Typing H asselhoff (putting the space in) IS a filter circumvention. Typing #### or even F#### is a FILTER The Former is using the filter software in place. The latter is the user, understanding the sensitivities of some on the forum, and filtering themselves. Period. When you watch the evening news, and soemone says #### and they bleep it, you hear the "F". YOu know it I know it, the man in the moon knows it. Even PG-13s allow a "Son of a b-word" every once in a while.

#4) Does anyone else think it just a little bit pathetic that I've been typing F### or saying A-muthereffing-men for 5 years before someone decided to flip the switch on me? Does anyone else think it just a little strange that just about everyone here (including admins....INCLUDING RICH) have said "WTF" or used "arse" instead of "###"???

#6) Sorry Tristan. No one is going to tell their 13 year old that they can' march in the Vanguard Cadets because someone typed F*** in a thread about Nancy Pelosi on Drum Corps Planet's Current Events forum. Sorry. It's just not going to happen. (Does anyone really think 12 year olds are hanging out in a thread about global warming?) By the way, Tristan...have you ever BEEN in a drum corps? I was raised by a pack of wolves, but going to obsever a Vanguard cadets rehearsal...and I LEARNED new swear words.

#7) Seven

#8) I get that there are rules around here and, by mere using the site, you are agreeing to the rules.... but the fact that something as strong as suspensions are handed out without a warning for rules that ARE NOT CONSISTENTLY FOLLOWED BY THE ADMINS is NOT condusive to a conversational atmosphere. DCPs numbers are big. Make no mistake about it. But the biggest mistake the PTB around here could make is to rest on those laurells. Especially when lots of people are really starting to hate it around here. I'd hate to see DCP become the vast wasteland that RAMD became (even when no one thought it could happen to RAMD).

#9 So, what's the verdict? Is the mere presense of a pound sign now grounds for suspension? Can I Type "WTF" but not "What the F###?" Is "arse" ok, but not ###? Do the admins care or is it..."screw you, those are the rules, like it or lump it?"

Edited by LisaLisaMoMeesa