Profanity/Vulgarity/Word Filter/Circumvention Guideline

If we go down this path of banning people as soon as a ### appears, or an implied word appears, it skews inconsistent with the sexuality present in the "Club DCP" thread, "Man" and "Woman" thread and elsewhere. Not only that, but DCP proper has implied sexual and drug usage threads there as well...a more causal poster (say under 50-100 posts, someone who really doesn't have a stake here, or for the guidelines in general) that gets banned for an off-the-cuff #### is not going to be pleased with it, and DCP gets one more disgruntled person.

It will become a case of "poster x gets banned for just ####, but why isn't poster y banned for making a comment about my breasts/##### size/sexual prowess/fill in the blank."

I realize I'm stepping in where I'm probably not welcome, but I have to speak up on this.

I think your scenario is a bit of an extreme. People are not being banned "just for saying ####" -- and it's certainly not happening after one offense. I didn't even get approached on my post -- the filter just changed for whatever reason (and I'm still not clear on why but Rich, you have a PM on that.. long, but hopefully clear).

People get suspended or banned when they have consistently (eeks.. there's that word) disregarded a guideline.. have been approached about it on more than one occasion and continue to exhibit the behavior. Suspension and banning (which is a misnomer.. very few people are "banned" on this site.. but many, including me, have been suspended for one reason or another) is and has always been a last resort. It's the most extreme admonishment after all other avenues have failed.

Lord knows I rarely agreed with the reasons I was suspended.. but it's part of this community and I do my best NOT to exhibit the behaviors that got me suspended in each case once it was lifted.

I don't think the renewed interest in this guideline just came out of nowhere. I don't spend a lot of time in the bored forum or OT forums so if that's central to this debate, i'd say a vast majority of people on this site are pretty much unaware of it being a problem. Most people use a form of profanity once in a while, it gets filtered and they go about their merry way. I recognized that it gets abused.. but there are also times when you just have to bite the bullet and deal with specific offenders.

That's when we get drama like this.

As for my thread, I don't have a problem getting a filter replacement that says, "edited for profanity" instead of ####. It's an effective deterrent. I just don't think getting a filter replacement that says, "edited for filter circumvention" is accurate or appropriate and that's a consistency I'd like to see.

Stef

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rich, are you actually using a possibly deadly action as an analogy to what goes on on DCP?

Last time I checked, using #s in this forum isn't going to get anyone killed be they suspended/banned, or no

Edited by JMS0527

Rich, are you actually using a possibly deadly action as an analogy to what goes on on DCP?

Last time I checked, using #s in this forum isn't going to get anyone killed be they suspended/banned, or no

I'm sorry, you've lost me there.

It's simple. Dont curse, or pretend to curse. Substitute the feeling with an approved word. On the same token, Lisa shouldnt have been banned based on the information given, if anything,a warning, or a PM discussion about future posts, then a thread about the guidlines. She is an adult, she has been here a long time, deserves the benefit of the doubt, a second/third chance, whatever...but this idea of a strongarm law enforcment center where there is just one alternative is ridiculous for the site we have here.

Many, many people walk a slippery slope and get away with much higher/grander offenses because they dance with the guidelines, its not fair, I realize its hard to control everything, but it seems that a whole new community needs to be formed here with a strip down and re-tooling of the existing guidelines based on todays community.

Why do the moderators get tenure and are basically here until they "die" or resign ?? Why not make it a term limit or change them around on a semi-regular basis ??

How about legitimate feedabck from members of all walks of the community, making it a true community where everyone has some sort of say ??

There is plenty of ways to please everyone and be fair and consistent, it take time, imagination and effort.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

Its because the FST's have to act as robots, per Rich.

They get no leeway in using good judgment when it comes to addressing a violation.

Pathetic and sad on his part.

Lisa was not banned. Plain and simple.

please stop it Mike

you taking your frustration out because of something else isn't going to help the situation.

let it go for today and deal with it another day when tensions aren't running as high as they currently are.

none of us need this TODAY :(

Why do the moderators get tenure and are basically here until they "die" or resign ?? Why not make it a term limit or change them around on a semi-regular basis ??

How about legitimate feedabck from members of all walks of the community, making it a true community where everyone has some sort of say ??

There is plenty of ways to please everyone and be fair and consistent, it take time, imagination and effort.

~G~

G -

Most of us, if not all of us mods, have been put in our positions based on feedback from the members and posting habits witnessed by the powers that be.

That's how I received my position. I initially started as a regular FSTM based on suggestion from other members to Mike New, then he asked me if i wanted my position, and I accepted.

When DCP and DCP community used to be split off, I went over with the community, and was then promoted to Senior FSTM, then eventually to Community Admistrator. Based on how I operated over there, when they remerged to DCP again, Rich then asked me to be a senior FSTM, based on my experience.

I know I personally asked for suggestions to members when I needed FSTM's on the community site, and they came over with me when the sites remerged. IMHO, they do a terrific job to this day.

There is a lot of turnover on the forum support team - it just really isn't advertised.

So to finalize my point, we're not really appointed by one person, per se, we're appointed from suggestion by some of the more valued members of the community.

Substitute the feeling with an approved word. ... There is plenty of ways to please everyone and be fair and consistent, it take time, imagination and effort.

Great idea ... I think we should try that. Since consistency is important, we should agree.

I propose that, henceforth, all possibly-offensive terms should be replaced with the word "Hasselhoff" as in:

What the Hasselhoff?

That was Hasselhoffing funny.

I don't give a rat's Hasselhoff about woodwinds.

That Hasselhoffs rocks, dude.

Oh, my Hasselhoff ...

Electronics my Hasselhoff!

I laughed my Hasselhoffing Hasselhoff off!

Now, in addition to the solving the issue, my proposed solution is guaranteed to make the DCP Community even more popular in Germany.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

G -

Most of us, if not all of us mods, have been put in our positions based on feedback from the members and posting habits witnessed by the powers that be.

That's how I received my position. I initially started as a regular FSTM based on suggestion from other members to Mike New, then he asked me if i wanted my position, and I accepted.

When DCP and DCP community used to be split off, I went over with the community, and was then promoted to Senior FSTM, then eventually to Community Admistrator. Based on how I operated over there, when they remerged to DCP again, Rich then asked me to be a senior FSTM, based on my experience.

I know I personally asked for suggestions to members when I needed FSTM's on the community site, and they came over with me when the sites remerged. IMHO, they do a terrific job to this day.

There is a lot of turnover on the forum support team - it just really isn't advertised.

So to finalize my point, we're not really appointed by one person, per se, we're appointed from suggestion by some of the more valued members of the community.

Thanks Jami,

Lord knows I have no problem with you, or really anyone in general, just throwing out ideas for discussion to try and help/understand. I didnt know what you just posted, thanks for the info !!

~G~