I have a question. I have thought about devoting a couple of weeks near the beginning of June to volunteer for a corps. The issue I have is that none are near me, and I would have to fly to be there to help out. Do corps pay for flights/transportation when someone comes from far away to volunteer? I know this may sound petty, but I am curious. I am not in a position to be able to pay for my flight.

Where are you coming from?

TX. . .and before anyone asks, I have contacted YEA about Crossmen/Cadets. Thanks for the response. I would have thought I would have had more help on this issue by now.

I kinda assumed that from your handle. But on that note, what about the Crossmen? They're at least in the right state. There's also a few Div. 2 & 3 corps down there too, right? I'm sure they could really use the help of a dedicated individual.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Gulf Coast Sound...Austin Stars...

TX:

Having lived in Texas, I do hope you can help out some corps like Crossmen or Revolution, both in San Antonio, or all-age weekend corps like Frontier, Dallas; Gulf Coast Sound, Houston area; Austin Stars; Masquerade, Ruston, LA....

There are cheap Air Trans or Southwest flights into Atlanta; maybe Spirit at Jax State U, AL; or Atlanta CorpsVets all-age on weekends. Cheap flights to Chicago: Phantom Regiment, Rockford, IL; Cavaliers, Rosemont, IL; Racine, WI, Scouts; Pioneer, Milwaukee; Madison Scouts or Capital Sound, Madison, WI; or all-age Racine Kilties on weekends.

PM for details and more options. List any skills here and some corps might be after you in a heartbeat; e.g., cooking, driving, sewing, medical, etc. Volunteers are always needed, no matter what the skills are. 'Tis a unique experience.

I would write emails to the corps directors or volunteer coordinators for each corps you are interested in helping out. There are always people driving up to corps' camps, etc. from all over the country. You may be able to connect with another volunteer, staff member or marching member from your area that is headed to Denver, La Crosse, Dubuque, where ever. I know we drive to Blue Stars every month during the winter and almost every week during the summer from Kansas, and there are other people that come from OK, TX, LA, etc. We even have folks that drive from Corpus Christi :o .

Problem solved. . .I will be volunteering with Crossmen.