Language use on DCP

JohnD

The enforcement of the DCP guideline regarding language use has been lenient in the past - largely because we'd like to believe that our membership is capable of controlling their use of age-inappropirate language. However, when the problem gets out-of-hand - we are forced to increase the level of enforcement.

The guideline is pretty clear:

"You may not use profanity. We encourage you to use our community as a forum to debate topics, but please use proper vocabulary to express yourself. We have word filters in place for the most vulgar terms. Circumventing those word filters is considered a violation of these guidelines and the offending terms will be removed."

Keep in mind that we have members as young as 13 years old visiting the DCP Community - so keeping the language appropriate for that age-group is important. We understand that there will be the occasional emotional reaction to an issue and people will slip with a word ... and that's what the filters are for, to catch those things. However, when the reliance on the filters (or manual substitution of symbols or other characters) in a post, where the message being communicated is clearly 'offending', becomes a regular practice - we will take action. Minor infractions would warrant the member being contacted and reminded of the policy ..... major or repeated infractions would result in a suspension being given - on an increasing scale from 3 days to a complete ban, after multiple offenses. In all cases, the authority for issuing a suspension will be the forum's Community Administrator.

Is there ambiguity in this policy? Yes, there is - which is required to provide both the community and moderation staff with some flexibility to deal with exceptions. The alternatives are draconian enforcement or complete chaos .... neither of-which are desireable for this community.

Are there ways we could improve the filtering system? Yes, I believe there are. Over the next few weeks, we will review the filter mechanism (within the limits of what the software developer has provided) and attempt to find a way to make the application of the filters more effective in preventing the communication of the filtered word. Please consider the fact that the arrangement of specific letters or symbols on the screen are not the only way of communicating a word or phrase. Is there ### question as-to what ### meaning of this sentance is?

Is there an opportunity for inconsistency? Yes. HOWEVER, we will always try to apply the intent of the guidelines consistently and consider the circumstances. Not everyone will agree along the way ... especially the 'offender' or those with an axe to grind over another issue ... but we will do our best to be fair and consistent in our application of the guidelines.

Our entire intent for this guideline is to make the DCP community as INCLUSIVE as possible - for those that share our interest in and love for the activity. If one is only interested in testing the outer limits of their perceived rights to 'free speech' - there are plenty of other forums available on the internet and elsewhere for that. That is not our focus here. We want to provide an environment where people with a WIDE range of age, experience, ideas, background, and values can come together to discuss a common interest.

I will appreciate your carefull consideration of the issue and your suppport.

-john

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John.

When we're watching NETWORK television, ya know, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX...and a curse word is said, it's bleeped out. Children watch those television networks. Babies watch them with their parents. The Bleep has become an acceptable form of censorship that most Americans agree on. If a bleep is used, all is forgiven, and NOBODY is up in arms over the Bleep. I work in the industry. I know the facts.

We're ADULTS here, for the most part. Do we have 6 year olds frequenting DRUM CORPS planet? We're a bunch of crazy people that are weekend warriors, or spend entire summers on the road, hanging out with people from all kinds of backgrounds and cultures, ages and races...we ALL curse and if we don't, we're CERTAINLY exposed to it CONSTANTLY and are USED to living this way. It's a way of expressing ourselves as AMERICANS in public and in private that is just part of our lifestyle as drum corps people.

You wanna censor Marching Band Planet where it's MOSTLY children? Go ahead. You wanna censor Color Guard Planet where there's a lot of kids? Go for it. They don't curse on the Disney Channel. But they sure as hell do on NBC and CBS. Ya know, where EVERYONE watches and is a part of.

Don't take the freedom of our Bleeps away. They help us express our emotions sometimes. They help us bring out our personalities. Some of us are so old, myself included, that it's too late to change that aspect of ourselves. Don't try to change who your members ARE, John. Stop this foolishness.

We've been here for years, and you're driving us away. You will NOT get me to agree with you on this, and I have A TON of supporters behind me.

WE ARE DRUM CORPS PLANET.

You allow 13 year olds to be on the OT threads???? OK. Not a good idea IMHO. But I hate talking about cartoons. OT should be different IMHO. I agree with the rest on the only drum corps threads. And nothing against 13 year olds and world opinion. But come on now.

John.

When we're watching NETWORK television, ya know, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX...and a curse word is said, it's bleeped out. Children watch those television networks. Babies watch them with their parents. The Bleep has become an acceptable form of censorship that most Americans agree on. If a bleep is used, all is forgiven, and NOBODY is up in arms over the Bleep. I work in the industry. I know the facts.

We're ADULTS here, for the most part. Do we have 6 year olds frequenting DRUM CORPS planet? We're a bunch of crazy people that are weekend warriors, or spend entire summers on the road, hanging out with people from all kinds of backgrounds and cultures, ages and races...we ALL curse and if we don't, we're CERTAINLY exposed to it CONSTANTLY and are USED to living this way. It's a way of expressing ourselves as AMERICANS in public and in private that is just part of our lifestyle as drum corps people.

You wanna censor Marching Band Planet where it's MOSTLY children? Go ahead. You wanna censor Color Guard Planet where there's a lot of kids? Go for it. They don't curse on the Disney Channel. But they sure as hell do on NBC and CBS. Ya know, where EVERYONE watches and is a part of.

Don't take the freedom of our Bleeps away. They help us express our emotions sometimes. They help us bring out our personalities. Some of us are so old, myself included, that it's too late to change that aspect of ourselves. Don't try to change who your members ARE, John. Stop this foolishness.

We've been here for years, and you're driving us away. You will NOT get me to agree with you on this, and I have A TON of supporters behind me.

WE ARE DRUM CORPS PLANET.

w/Stp:

(usual disclaimers)

Going to add another thing. Is it the use of profanity, or is it being vulgar? Two different things.

I cuss like a salior, when I'm telling a story or a joke or talking about human nature and how messed up it is. Vulgarity is not profanity, I can be vulgar, very vulgar, it's a part of my act. Thing is, I can use profanity and never be vulgar. I can also be vulgar (Very) and never utter a "dirty" word.

The problem is the stance on profanity and not vulgarity.

Edited by CloudHype

I am with you too.

Keep it coming, everyone. Let your voices be heard. Do not sit idle while a part of your freedom is at stake. Albeit a small part, but start cutting out small parts of freedom here and there, and eventually, we'll all be the robots that John and Rich have created in his moderators. No offense to the mods, it's your job under Rich and John.

SPEAK UP!

Going to add another thing. Is it the use of profanity, or is it being vulgar? Two different things.

I cuss like a salior, when I'm telling a story or a joke or talking about human nature and how messed up it is. Vulgarity is not profanity, I can be vulgar, very vulgar, it's a part of my act. Thing is, I can use profanity and never be vulgar. I can also be vulgar (Very) and never utter a "dirty" word.

The problem is the stance on profanity and not vulgarity.

See, I could take offense to that. I was a sailor. But we are adults, and it is pretty much true from what I went through. But if I have thin skin, who would know? Thin skin people should be kicked off. :) Just kidding. But they should understand human rights, as in, You have no right not to be offended. :worthy:

Keep it coming, everyone. Let your voices be heard. Do not sit idle while a part of your freedom is at stake. Albeit a small part, but start cutting out small parts of freedom here and there, and eventually, we'll all be the robots that John and Rich have created in his moderators. No offense to the mods, it's your job under Rich and John.

SPEAK UP!

Chris, I think your robots comment is way out of line, whether or not you meant offense.

Seriously, how hard is it to just not use profanity on these boards? See my post in the other thread in this forum.