Language use on DCP

JohnD

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that if you have to use profanity, you must have a very limited vocabulary. (Although I have been guilty of limited vocabulary from time to time.)

Except the guidelines clearly state (and have for a long time) that profanity is NOT acceptable. That is what we are now enforcing more strongly than we have in the past. The filter will still work to cover it up, but the whole point is you're not supposed to use it in the first place.

It has not been used if it is not printed. How simple is that?

That's not true at all, LMH.

Profanity use is a product of the environments that we live in. Tell people from the ghetto that they're not allowed to use profanity. Tell people from New York City that live in urban areas (like myself) that they can't use profanity.

I have a large vocabulary, but the way I grew up, it's just a part of acceptable speech.

That's like saying you're not really naked if you hold a black bar in front of your naughty bits when you go out in public.

That is allowed on telly. You see it everyday, or not. :P

But this forum is not the ghetto, it is not urban new york. We have to act in a manner that is acceptable to a broader audience, including people as young as 13. If you were to go into a classroom and blurt out a blue streak, it wouldn't matter what your background is. There is a baseline of behavior that has to be set for all, regardless of background.

That is allowed on telly. You see it everyday, or not. :P

We are not television, and that behavior would likely get you cited for indecent exposure. Black bar or not.

Was that from Carl Marx ?