What innovations are left?

Just wondering out loud -

DCI still has room to expand to meet marching band - electronics / woodwinds. For those of you who follow BOA or WGI more closely, though - what's left after that? What's the last truly original instrument / style / whatever that's come along? Our guards now dance ballet / modern dance / just about every other style, our drummers are fairly well interchangable between the three genres - what's next?

Thoughts or ideas?

Mike

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the drum area (the only one I'm really qualified to talk about), I think we'll see, eventually, a nontraditional material used that will reduce the weight on drums significantly, as well as their size. I also think that it'll also directly impact drill, because with the reduced weight drummers will be able to take part in the more intricate horn drills.

Others?

Mike

What's left? Things like jetpacks, virtual reality, and Mike Boo's personal favorite, flamethrowers. B)

The only thing really left after electronics and woodwinds is expanding the "theater" part of the production....to the point where the shows become less about the music/drill involved, and more like musical theater.

Especially if the sheets eventually change to BOA's style, with GE becoming even more of the heavyweight than it already is.

in 2013, Cavies woodwind section will win best of show...their stunning use of both silver and brass saxophones also allows GE to soar...

Garfield takes a whimsical poke at itself, and captures the best sampling award, for use of "Ice Ice Baby", with the color guard in neon parachute pants...

During the Blue Knights performance of "1812 Overture", an amplifier blows up...the crowd, thinking it's part of the show goes wild...

All 180 marching members of the newly revitalized Suncoast Sound offer a lovely all clarinet and flute ballad...even the 2 marching snares, 1 marching bass drum, and 1 multi get into the act, along with the 40 member percussion pit...

emotedeadhorseff5.gif

Just wondering out loud - what's next?

Mike

Are you glomming onto my great idea, New??

GLOMMER!!

I already posted the poll.

The next big thing is LIVE ANIMALS (but they have to be able to carry their own equipment)!!