1988 .. an incredible year of change

Yes .. as well as 89. I think Prelims 88 was the cleanest show I've ever seen. CLEANEST! Todd did some teching in the winter but focussed on writing the drill.

I thought Todd moved on to Star in 89? Madison's feet in 88 were second to none ever!

I thought Todd moved on to Star in 89? Madison's feet in 88 were second to none ever!

Probably both are correct. I don't remember seeing him after April at Scouts.

Gregg,

Where did those scores come from? On your site, you have these scores, which I believe ARE correct:

Casper, WY

Velvet Knights 82.4

Phantom Regiment 80.8

Sky Ryders 63.3

Troopers 63.0

Marauders 56.9

Americanos 44.6

The recap you have connected to it has the Sky Ryders with an 80 something, but I know we didn't break 80 until August 9th or 10th that season. Also, I know we scored a 63.3 in Cheyenne, because we didn't have any equipment or uniforms, so we used loaners from all the other corps with our corps jackets.

LOL I rmeember that as well. Someone borrowed my euph.

'88 Scouts are one of my all time favorite performances top to bottom. Fantastic feet, and the tension to the build-up in Malaguena - OMG!!! Showed it to a non-drum corps friend recently on a projection tv with surround sound. He went nuts!

Gregg,

Where did those scores come from? On your site, you have these scores, which I believe ARE correct:

Casper, WY

Velvet Knights 82.4

Phantom Regiment 80.8

Sky Ryders 63.3

Troopers 63.0

Marauders 56.9

Americanos 44.6

The recap you have connected to it has the Sky Ryders with an 80 something, but I know we didn't break 80 until August 9th or 10th that season. Also, I know we scored a 63.3 in Cheyenne, because we didn't have any equipment or uniforms, so we used loaners from all the other corps with our corps jackets.

That's right Gale. That's the show where we lost our equipment truck, borrowed horns from Troopers (mostly), drums from VK, and the guard did "air guard" for the show. Man did we suck that night. No warm up and playing on different horns. Intonation was off the charts. We dropped something like 10 points from our previous show. I remember having to sing parts of Do-Re-Mi at retreat, then march off snapping our fingers in unison, since the percussion had no equipment to play the cadence.

We didn't break 80 until Houston, TX - after a couple of shows were cancelled in the South due to the tropic storm that hit (remember rehersing outside in the pouring rain in Mississippi under one of the lamp posts and barely being able to see the drum major while we rehersed ensemble music?).

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

I think Madison's high mark time, which looks like a straight shot up the leg with a pointed foot, was new for them, and it sure seemed to help them out.

Also, very big change percussion-wise, falam heads on the scout's snares? The beginning of the modern snare sound, a bad thing in some people's opinion i guess.

That's right Gale. That's the show where we lost our equipment truck, borrowed horns from Troopers (mostly), drums from VK, and the guard did "air guard" for the show. Man did we suck that night. No warm up and playing on different horns. Intonation was off the charts. We dropped something like 10 points from our previous show. I remember having to sing parts of Do-Re-Mi at retreat, then march off snapping our fingers in unison, since the percussion had no equipment to play the cadence.

I remember that show very fondly. :huh:

Performing a show in jeans and corps jackets with borrowed Trooper horns was absolutely surreal. After the show, one of the instuctors (pretty sure it was Rob or PJ) was going around showing the Brass Performance sheet and giving us a HUGE laugh. Brass performance judge, L. Sherman (according to fromthepressbox.com) had written only two words on it:

"Oh Well..."

At retreat, we "sang off" the field - the part in Do-Re-Mi that we were already singing in the show "When you know the notes to sing, you can sing most anything."

VK's victory concert (after beating PR) that night was one of the LOUDEST hornline moments I ever experienced. What a sound! :huh:

We didn't break 80 until Houston, TX - after a couple of shows were cancelled in the South due to the tropic storm that hit (remember rehersing outside in the pouring rain in Mississippi under one of the lamp posts and barely being able to see the drum major while we rehersed ensemble music?).

You remember how we all changed out of our wet clothes that afternoon, got all spruced up and then headed for New Orleans a day early for one of our free days? :mmm: I don't remember the next day too vividly though... for some reason.

Edited by bradrick