1988 .. an incredible year of change

88 was a great year overall. A very emotional year for Dutch Boy members - we worked so hard that year and had a great corps/ show, only to end up sitting and watching finals from the stands on Saturday night. It was very difficult to watch corps perform that you had beaten several times during the season. Oh well. Still a great year. Don't regret a minute.

We did win best colour guard at DCI semi finals. I don't know if DCI had ever presented that award before for corps 13 to 25 or if they ever gave it again following 1988 but we did win best guard at semis. That was cool.

I'll never forget the tears we all cried together in the stands on Friday night and in the parking lot in Kansas after the scores were announced after semis. I must say that many other corps were so classy that night consoling us and congratulating us a fine show and year and reminding us to be proud. 13th by 2 tenths was still something to be proud of.

Maybe it was no coincidence that we played " It was a very good year"!.

Wow. 1988 Dutch boy, (along with 1989 Dutch Boy), to me are two of the greatest non-finals shows in the history of drum corps hands down. The depth of the design and the quality of the performance of 88 Dutchboy was astounding. What a colorguard, Sandy and Co. did an awesome job with coordinating colors, dance and equipment and pure dazzling effect. The music, the drill, everything else was so mature, so effective, so entertaining..goosebump city.

In my opinion, it was just the case of too many corps, not enough spots, although I wouldnt argue had you guys "made it" SkyRyders, Freelancers, Crossmen, Dutchboy, Florida wave (remember they were supposed to be the "next best thing after their 87 show). It could have gone either way and makes 88 one of the best years for the battle for 12th.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

Wow. 1988 Dutch boy, (along with 1989 Dutch Boy), to me are two of the greatest non-finals shows in the history of drum corps hands down. The depth of the design and the quality of the performance of 88 Dutchboy was astounding. What a colorguard, Sandy and Co. did an awesome job with coordinating colors, dance and equipment and pure dazzling effect. The music, the drill, everything else was so mature, so effective, so entertaining..goosebump city.

In my opinion, it was just the case of too many corps, not enough spots, although I wouldnt argue had you guys "made it" SkyRyders, Freelancers, Crossmen, Dutchboy, Florida wave (remember they were supposed to be the "next best thing after their 87 show). It could have gone either way and makes 88 one of the best years for the battle for 12th.

~G~

Thanks for the kind words. I thought we were great as well but of course I'm completely biased. Finals week was really scary for us. We had not competed against Sky Ryders, Crossman, Freelancers or Florida Wave all year long but we knew our pre finals week scores were on par if not higher than all those corps heading into finals week. We had beaten Suncoast Sound quite a number of times in the early season and had kept quite close in scores to them all season long. And we all know Suncoast ended in 10th. Some nights Suncoast beat us - some nights we beat them. Some nights there were many points separating us and some nights tenths of a point. I'm not sure that the judging community really knew what to do with us or Suncoast that year.

We rehearsed non stop that year. The staff pulled pretty much all our scheduled free days (including laundry days) after we beat Suncoast trying to solidify as spot on Saturday night. They felt we had a real shot at finals and wanted to make sure we couldn't be denied a spot. We rehearsed after coming of the field from performing at a show and then again after retreat. We were usually the last corps to pull out of the lot because we were still rehearsing.

I think all the rehearsing made not making finals even harder. Al DiCroce (corps director)used to give us a speech telling us not to blame others for our failures but to look in the mirror first and see what we could have done differently. Friday night we looked at ourselves in the mirror and we knew we couldn't have done anything different to make finals. It hurt falling just short after all the work.

Almost 20 years later I take consolation in hearing repeatedly that Dutch Boy 88 was one of the greatest shows to ever hit the field and not make finals. (I still would have liked to perform Saturday night but I did enjoy watching some incredible shows)

Edited by neddy

ok, speaking of Suncoast, did anyone else ever find it a bit spooky how Spirit and Suncoast always seemed to finish back to back in finals? LOL

1983 - Suncoast 6th, Spirit 7th

1984 - Spirit 6th, Suncoast 7th

1985 - Suncoast 6th, Spirit 7th

1986 - Suncoast 5th, Spirit 6th

1987 - Suncoast 9th, Spirit 10th

1988 - Spirit 9th, Suncoast 10th

ok, speaking of Suncoast, did anyone else ever find it a bit spooky how Spirit and Suncoast always seemed to finish back to back in finals? LOL

1983 - Suncoast 6th, Spirit 7th

1984 - Spirit 6th, Suncoast 7th

1985 - Suncoast 6th, Spirit 7th

1986 - Suncoast 5th, Spirit 6th

1987 - Suncoast 9th, Spirit 10th

1988 - Spirit 9th, Suncoast 10th

If you want, you can even add 1982 in there, sorta. Although not on the same day: Suncoast 13th, Spirit 12th...hmmmm

so recap, if final placements only count, you can add 1982.

~G~

Thanks for the kind words. I thought we were great as well but of course I'm completely biased. Finals week was really scary for us. We had not competed against Sky Ryders, Crossman, Freelancers or Florida Wave all year long but we knew our pre finals week scores were on par if not higher than all those corps heading into finals week. We had beaten Suncoast Sound quite a number of times in the early season and had kept quite close in scores to them all season long. And we all know Suncoast ended in 10th. Some nights Suncoast beat us - some nights we beat them. Some nights there were many points separating us and some nights tenths of a point. I'm not sure that the judging community really knew what to do with us or Suncoast that year.

We rehearsed non stop that year. The staff pulled pretty much all our scheduled free days (including laundry days) after we beat Suncoast trying to solidify as spot on Saturday night. They felt we had a real shot at finals and wanted to make sure we couldn't be denied a spot. We rehearsed after coming of the field from performing at a show and then again after retreat. We were usually the last corps to pull out of the lot because we were still rehearsing.

I think all the rehearsing made not making finals even harder. Al DiCroce (corps director)used to give us a speech telling us not to blame others for our failures but to look in the mirror first and see what we could have done differently. Friday night we looked at ourselves in the mirror and we knew we couldn't have done anything different to make finals. It hurt falling just short after all the work.

Almost 20 years later I take consolation in hearing repeatedly that Dutch Boy 88 was one of the greatest shows to ever hit the field and not make finals. (I still would have liked to perform Saturday night but I did enjoy watching some incredible shows)

It's too bad that we could not have tied in Semi-Finals! We never competed against you in 88 until Semi-Finals, and since we performed last that night, we didn't get to see your show at all. Once I got the albums and listened to your show, my jaw hit the florr. You guys were fantastic! 12th to 15th place in 88 has to be among the strongest ever. Freelancers were amazing, Crossmen had a hot show, and Dutch Boy - man what a sizzling show. I never saw the guard live, but the pics I saw :doh: - man were they lovely!

All tour, I kept saying "Dutch Boy's horns will trump Crossmen's drums." Sky Ryders never entered the picture for me, despite seeing them more times than any other corps that year, I think. But there they were on Saturday, solid numbers across the board.