return of the cymbal line?

I really don't see the need for 6 people to march around the field for an entire show just to satisfy someone's need to have useless visuals when their musical contribution can be moved into the pit.

Thanks for minimizing my whole drum corps marching and teaching experience. It means a lot.

Edited by ACustom19

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for minimizing my whole drum corps marching and teaching experience. It means a lot.

One person's misguided opinion can't possibly minimize your marching experience. Adding a few cymbals to the pit can't ever replace a good plate line, not ever. Be proud!

I really don't see the need for 6 people to march around the field for an entire show just to satisfy someone's need to have useless visuals when their musical contribution can be moved into the pit.

It's a shame you feel that way about guards. Visual is just as important as music you know. :doh:

• 3 weeks later...

There is a certain respect for a cymbal line that can contribute musically, not just for effect crashes and visuals that should be considered.

Behind every great cymbal line is a great writer/tech who understands what is expected of the cymbal line.

Are they there to play 4 different techniques, only crashes on beats 1 & 3, and visual elsewear?

Or are they there to split 16th note runs and add the melody in a way no hornline or pit ever could with 15+ techniques, and the occasional visual when they have time/space in the music?

Both types of lines are desirable to different people.

What line would your corps have?

Rach

Reading Buccaneers sop 02, cymbals 03,04,07

Surf 06

with the new 150 member rule in place for next season, will we see cymbal lines return? i love scv's line. i always try to follow what they do when i watch videos

I'm thinking some will add 15 prop movers. :)

In my personal opnion from a writing stand point i write every now and then for high schools and when i was writting for plate lines i just didn't see a real reason to have it, i had everything i needed in the pit. If it means more horns and guard then heck yeah no reason to bring them back. Today, if kids don't really know how to play anything you stick them in the pit and throw them on something that is easy to learn.

I understand the no cymbal line on the field portion of things and being a cymbal player myself that may sound weird.

I speak only of experience and mean no down grading to anyone in the industry of writing percussion music.

I see most, and no this isn't negative but more a fact of the world, not many people know how to write for quality cymbal lines, or are given the opportunity to work with a quality plate line. With the many techniques and sounds you can get to match the drumline. I put on example I know for sure...marching colts 06, the cymbal/bass break in out drum solo, the cymbal line simply split 2 counts of triplets. This effect which would probably be over amplified in the pit brought a great sound and nearly every DCI judge (shocking I know) said that, with several GE judges actually complimenting.

I have been involved in groups where we played 600+ notes in one single drum corps show, and there are things you simply couldn't do, especially now with amps.

Many people are given the kids who weren't quite good enough for the "high school line" or whatever, but given the proper training and seeing and really getting to know those and understanding the as cymbal players say "lost artform" you can still say cymbals belong in the pit...and ya know what...your opinion rock it man...no hard feelings.

I like seeing people who understand cymbal lines and can see what their musical and visual capabilities are...it is something that many involved in drum corps and marching bands are not acustom to seeing so to jump on their backs for not having quite the respect...ok...I don't like it, because it is my passion and love, but it is a 100% respectable opinion.

Lets see some more plate lines, and to the platelines out there...stick together man, we're all involved in something special that we know about....and many people will see that, just have faith give it some time, and understand that their background on cymbals may be your background on USA Soccer...what's the point??

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest with you guys I hope no more cymbal lines pop up! I think they are a waste of time, players and staff personnel. I hope the corps are smart enough to fill those new spots with brass or pit! Let’s just not waste our time on a cymbal line!