return of the cymbal line?

To be honest with you guys I hope no more cymbal lines pop up! I think they are a waste of time, players and staff personnel. I hope the corps are smart enough to fill those new spots with brass or pit! Let’s just not waste our time on a cymbal line!

Polaris will have a cymbal line, in case anyone was wondering.

And its pretty much going to be just to spite you in particular. :P

Not really...but we're gonna have one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest with you guys I hope no more cymbal lines pop up! I think they are a waste of time, players and staff personnel. I hope the corps are smart enough to fill those new spots with brass or pit! Let’s just not waste our time on a cymbal line!

Using that logic so is having 4 marimbas and 4 vibes on the sidelines when 1/2 or 1/4 of that is needed now with amplification.

Which actually makes sense...

Polaris will have a cymbal line, in case anyone was wondering.

And its pretty much going to be just to spite you in particular. :P

Not really...but we're gonna have one.

Polaris who? I dont care about them...... I'm talking about real corps here!

Using that logic so is having 4 marimbas and 4 vibes on the sidelines when 1/2 or 1/4 of that is needed now with amplification.

Yea well its better than a cymbal line.... I am not in totally agreement with amplification anyway. What happened to old school drum corp? It’s starting to get a little fancy for me!

Dude, way to bash on a start-up corps that you obviously know nothing about.

Yea well its better than a cymbal line.... I am not in totally agreement with amplification anyway. What happened to old school drum corp? It’s starting to get a little fancy for me!

This just makes no sense. You know you conradicted yourself completely in two sentences, right?

At first I thought I wouldn't even bother to argue with such ignorant comments, but I can't help but throw an opinion in the mix.

Since when is ANY instrument a waste of time? The fact of the matter is, there are people who march in drum corps and identify themselves as cymbal players. Anyone who says that identity is less valid than any other instrument in a drum corps is just plain cruel. Everyone, literally everyone, who marches corps takes something out of it. So why try to downplay something that brings someone such joy? You know what it sounds like when someone says, "Let's not waste time on cymbal players" ? It sounds just like a football player saying, "Let's not waste time on that stupid marching band," or a school board member saying, "We don't need to waste time and money on that fine arts program". I guess I just don't understand the logic behind trying to take away something that people take pride and joy in doing. Just because you personally don't know what cymbal playing is all about? I don't honestly understand the logic in throwing a gun made of wood in the air. What I do know is, I have lots of friends who take a huge sense of satisfaction from nailing that six they can throw with the utmost precision. Me? I take a sense of satisfaction in knowing that I am one of the few people out there who still know how to play marching cymbals. There are far less people who know proper cymbal-playing technique than there are who know, say, proper snare-playing technique. And there are even fewer who know both. Some might say that means there is a sense of novelty about cymbal-playing. Unfortunately, there are also others who quickly jump to the opinion that it's just outdated.

At the end of the day this activity isn't about what makes the most sense musically or visually. At the end of the day, this activity is about being apart of something that makes you happy. If playing cymbals makes a handful of individuals happy, you would think everyone would be chomping at the bit to offer the experience to others, in hopes that they, too, would enjoy the experience.

P.S. For the ultimate Cavalier fan, or whoever you are. You say drum corps is becoming too "fancy" for you? In the old days of drum corps you seem so nostalgic for, nearly every group sported a cymbal line. I don't understand people such as yourself who are so hellbent on picking and choosing the facets of this activity which suit only you, and then you leave behind the burden of inequality. I sleep well at night knowing people as selfish as you don't make the decisions which might prevent people such as myself from marching.

Somehow I hadn't heard about the 150 member thing until now........wow? :worthy:

I've tried to resist, but I've gotta say something about this. If you actually cared about the Cavaliers, you would think twice about posting things like that while sporting a cavies avatar and screen name. It's no wonder you're the self-proclaimed "biggest fan" and not "marching member." Most members of that corps have more humility, decency and maturity in their left foot that you could ever dream of having. <**>

Unless I'm missing an important detail, amplification can not create a new part. If these marimba/vibes were playing the same part, that would be true, but as far as I know they're almost always playing separate parts, and there's just not enough room to fit it on 1-2 keyboards, etc. Amplification means more diversity can be created so one doesn't have to rely on unisons and octaves to highlight everything. That's my understanding and synthesis of the situation, anyway.

I'm sort of ambivalent about cymbal lines. While I'm really impressed and tickled by a good one, I do think pit can generally handle that field of music without putting something on the field. A good cymbal line definitely isn't a waste, though, as you could have pit doing different things or just keep adding cymbal parts. (what hasn't been mentioned yet is the fact that virtually every pit member nowadays has his or her own cymbal(s), suspended and a set of crashes it seems. Again, I'm just going off observation, feel free to correct me)

I don't think there's one solid case where there's a perfect instrumentation. It depends entirely on what you do with it, and what the music calls for. Trying to create a universal ideal is ridiculous.

And yeah, the n00bism is pretty lame, Cavies-fan. :X