return of the cymbal line?

I appreciate the defense guys.

But I'm going to let the comments go. What do they matter?

I'll send 'em a shirt from our imaginary corps as soon as possible. :)

Edited by geluf

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm proud to be a member of a senior corps with a fabulous cymbal line year after year.

Not only do they add so many more things to our drumline, they're some of the hardest working members of our entire drum corps.

They rock. :)

Drum corps without cymbal lines is like cake without icing.

Let me clear so stuff up with you guys. I guess what i said came out all wrong! I love all of the corps and some of the corps that have cymbal lines are pretty cool too. I just think it is a waste of players when there could be more players on the brass or pit. Thats all not trying to bash anybody or anything. Sorry guys!

Edited by Cavaliers Biggest Fan

64-72 brass players isn't enough?? :grouphug:

Oh, well now that you have cleared that up, there are no qualms! I also love all the corps, and the Cavaliers are pretty cool too. I just think it is a waste of fans when there could be more fans for the Troopers or Southwind. That's all, not trying to bash anybody or anything. Sorry guys!

Let me clear so stuff up with you guys. I guess what i said came out all wrong! I love all of the corps and some of the corps that have cymbal lines are pretty cool too. I just think it is a waste of players when there could be more players on the brass or pit. Thats all not trying to bash anybody or anything. Sorry guys!

Thank you for clearing up and apologizing. Posting is sometimes a hard thing to do "right" in that the readers can't "hear" your voice and tell if you are joking or sarcastic or whatever. You seemed to be dissing a whole group of musicians who play an instrument in drum corps, bands, orchestras and ensembles all over the world, and suggesting they now just be eliminated in favor of a few more unnecessary voices in the hornline was shortsighted to say the least.

Check YouTube and type in "cymbal ensemble" to see that a good cymbal line is indeed a useful section in a drum corps, and eliminating them so as to have even more people standing in what in SOME cases are already wayyyyy to huge pits is a bad idea.

Eliminating ANY instrument is bad for drum corps, and cymbals ARE instruments and require skill to play well. It's been very sad to see them taken off the field by so many corps. If this trend of eliminating voices and throwing them into the pit continues, what's next? Bass drums? Then snare drummers and tenor drummers? Pretty soon all the percussion voices will be in the pit, and even though it can be joked about... it's a bad trend.

This is a good point.

I took an accoustics class in college. To truely increase the amount of volume from an ensemble (talent and all being equal) you have to almost double the size of the ensemble, or that part of the ensemble you want to more volume from.

So with most horn lines already at about 64 and more having 70 or so each year, adding a few more, say one more person per part, will have a mimimal effect on the overall volume.

However, adding several to one section may change and enhance balance or give arrangers some new options.

While I'm not holding my breath that many corps will add back cymbol lines, I think they could add both to the musical and visual aspects of a show.

you can never have enough brass!