84 27th lancers drumline

who was on/instructed this line? I know Paul Rennick was on the snare line.

who was on/instructed this line? I know Paul Rennick was on the snare line.

Really? They were real good.

I believe Charlie Poole was teh caption head.

Yup

Yes he was. In interviews, he downplays his part in the line's success, but come on. This may be the greatest battery of the DCI era, and that's no accident.

Charley Poole is a god among insects. This line was Finals-ready when I saw them in Naperville, Illinois. In June. As hard as I'm sure they worked, I've never seen or heard a line that made it look or sound so easy, with a ridiculously hard book to boot. Maybe the most fun drum show to listen to.

• Like 1

They were extremely tight. The drums sounded FANTASTIC! Especially the snares. I personally think snareline tuning peaked in the mid eighties - didn't sound like sticks on floor tiles.

Yep, Charlie Poole was our instructor then for the drum line. Also Paul Rennick marched 84-86 (with me). Paul, a class act. I enjoyed marching with him, such a nice guy. I saw him a few years ago getting off the bus of Phantom Regiment and he commented to me "Not like when we marched uh?" :) Referring to the buses.

Anyway, if you want to hear a judges tape of the 84 show drum solo, this judge had been a hard sell all the summer until that show there is one up on our website.

And fyi, that drum line was full of class act guys...they were all incredible....personally and playing wise.

For some reason the url link isn't working for me? :huh:

Enjoy!

Edited by Lancerlady
  • Like 1

I find it interesting that three really good drum lines (1984 27th, 1984 Bridgemen and 1977 Oakland Crusaders) were possibly the best in the activity and two of which were part of performing units that did not make finals.

Edited by Legolaus

27th line WAS fantastic...we only beat them in drums by 1/10th.

And.....no offense.... you shouldn't have beaten them!!!!

• Like 1