The wonders of drum corps

First pictures of the new tubas. Enjoy!

sousaphone1.gif

sousaphone2.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get it RIGHT! Those are GD plastic imitations of Sousaphones because "marching members" today are to GD weak and wimpy to carry real brass. Sousaphones have nothing nor have they ever had anything to do with real drum corps.

I concur Mike. Maybe the title of the thread should be "the wonders of bandcorps". Oops, excuse me, I maybe suspended or ,heaven forbid, banned for not posting what Smoothy and and the rest of DCP wants to hear. So I will post this instead: Cool, man, really hip

Annie

PS Soon to be moving to the great state of Minnesota.

Edited by drumcorpsmama

Once we had a limited number of tubas (the new ones hadn't come in yet) so we passed around 2 sousaphones switching during every break. It was essentially a game of hot potato with the worlds biggest potato.

It's true...those white wrap-around instruments are sousaphones...not tubas. Tubas, of course, are concert instruments not meant for the great-outdoors. The white instruments pictured at the beginning of this thread (probably made of fiberglass) are sousaphones...named after John Phillip Sousa.

Like drum corps' contras, sousaphones were designed for outdoors with their bell-front orientation. The sousaphones are also very light making them easy to carry. HOWEVER, their design is so inconsistent with the other bell-front instruments, they stand out as an anomally and their wrap-around design tends torward the ridiculous. Their look alone has led them to be the butt of jokes and, IMHO, they lack the dignity and appeal of contras.

I love a Sousa march and appreciate what JPSousa did for marching band. He wrote some wonderful music. But as others have already said, marching band is not drum corps and it is right to continue making some distinctions.

Let the marching bands keep their sousaphones and please, keep them out of drum corps.

Edited by SpartacusRocks

Let the marching bands keep their sousaphones and please, keep them out of drum corps.

Amen.

Wow,

All that sound coming from only one guy with a mouthpiece.... :drool:

Pgh Guy

John G

John....Look closer.....the rest of the Sousa's are AMPS...... b**bs

Edited by melligene