Too Simple?

For years, many have listed the drum corps songs that have grown tired from overuse.

I've seen West Side Story on this list many times in the past.

I guess after reviewing the last twenty or so years of tapes/CDs and DVDs, I've finally decided to add Simple Gifts to my list of songs I've grown tired of. It has now become anti-climactic wen I can anticipate the company front coming as the (you name the corps) reprises the main theme toward the end of their show.

What are your most overworked drum corps tunes?

I don't think Simple gifts is really that overused. To this day it remains to be my favorite melody.

Personally I think Simple Gift is done justice not with an orchestra, but with a Drum Corps. Such a melodic song with that aura of an anthem of pride is best expressed with brass in a company front. At least this is all within my opinion.

Oh god...not simple gifts...

Champions fanfare over the summer...

I came home to marching band: The Music of Aaron Copland...

For some insane reason, my director decided to have us play Variants on Appalachian Springs for concert...

The bell for my school, and also the signal to change classes...

If I never hear simple gifts again, then perhaps I can die happy. At least I wasn't in Blue Stars in '06; That would have driven me completely over the edge.

OK...so to the topic...this wasn't the defend Simple Gifts or WSS. It was...what are the overworked drum corps songs in your opinion.

Again, mine right now are WSS and Simple Gifts. I've grown tired of both on the field. If a corps came out this year with either, I'd go grab a hot dog after the first viewing. I believe either would make me drowsy if I saw them once again performed on the field.

Now...what's your list of overworked songs?

Oh god...not simple gifts...

Champions fanfare over the summer...

I came home to marching band: The Music of Aaron Copland...

For some insane reason, my director decided to have us play Variants on Appalachian Springs for concert...

The bell for my school, and also the signal to change classes...

If I never hear simple gifts again, then perhaps I can die happy. At least I wasn't in Blue Stars in '06; That would have driven me completely over the edge.

my source tells me you don't have to worry about "Champions Fanfare" this summer, but I haven't independently confirmed it yet (but it's a very reliable source) :laugh:

Edited by tubawarrior

my source tells me you don't have to worry about "Champions Fanfare" this summer, but I haven't independently confirmed it yet (but it's a very reliable source) :laugh:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated the song after about 3 notes. I turned my head...muttered...a WTF and then let out a huge yawn. I felt so bad for the horn players. What a pile of goo that tune was. May it forever rest in peace.

The piece Bloo used for there opener this year, the one in Madison 2003, seems to poping up alot, (especially if we take the MB world into consideration).

yup, since Pacific Crest played it in 2002, its been used every year since...still a great tune though, but there's only so many ways you can arrange it. Malaguena I would agree with only if anyone but Madison did it, they could do it every year and I'd be fine with that (unless they actually did use it every year, than it would probably get old quickly)

Edited by tubawarrior

I never mind when pieces are reused...I don't think I'll ever get tired of Simple Gifts or West Side Story. If SCV did an Appalachian Spring show or Cadets did a West Side Story show next year...well, I'd probably crap my pants in excitement. Others would hate it. As a matter of fact, I rarely ever grow tired of drum corps shows. Each viewing or listening is always better than the previous...like a fine wine, drum corps shows get better with age. To me. So if I'm at a mid-season show, I'll enjoy the shows that I've pretty much memorized musically from the APD than the shows that I've never seen before a LOT more.

But West Side Story or Malagueña or Appalachian Spring? Bring it on. These pieces should never die out. I'd like to hear at least one of these three played by a top twelve corps in full about every four years or so, from now till the end of drum corps. They're drum corps classics and should remain as such. How would you like it if Beethoven's 9th could never again be played by any symphony orchestra?

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1