Blue Shades ~ Cadets Recording on YEA.org

Bocook's arrangement >>>>>>>>>>>> Saucedo's arrangement

Question though: does Saucedo not arrange to his fullest potential for Spirit because they're not the Cavaliers and they don't pay him as much? Or was Spirit's Blue Shades arrangement (no offense to the corps, that was one of the best shows of '06) the best he could do?

hey hrothgar, i have no idea about saucedo's intentions or abilities, but ya spirit 06 was my favorite show of the year

back on topic, killer arrangment

Woohoo!!!!! Awesome arrangement seems to be the general agreement. And how 'bout that sop solo, eh?

My only worry is that there are a lot of very convenient voice breaks in there. :worthy:

I suppose it could be filled with some nice percussion...but for now I'm going to enjoy it as it is.

:doh: ...and it is sweet.

So, Im thinking in the only one who cant get this to work.

It just loads forever. It did the same with the other cadets clip, but I didnt really care.

Now I do.

any helP?

HOLY &@^&.

That's awesome!

Hey Hrothgar, did you miss this, or did you just decide to step off the soap box for awhile?

No, I saw it. I like the clip, so what? It won't be a good drum corps show by any stretch of the imagination, but that's a really good clip. :worthy:

I think Saucedo probably did what he was asked to do. Writing for a top 12 hornline (any line actually) means knowing the strengths and weaknesses of the ensemble, and writing the best book possible to compliment those tendencies. I would love to see and hear his original version of the arrangement, provided he wrote it for the ultimate strong hornline.

I can only imagine what Dance of the Mushroom Hunters originally sounded like (before cuts, hosing and rewrites).

Edited by supersop

Again why I think Bocook is still the strongest arranger in DCI today. By far, his arrangements are just masterpieces that seem to stand on their own.

Even though he does not do as much original composing as Saucedo, his works with Liquid and White Rabbit are absolutely fantastic. I regard them as some of the best works of original brassline writing in contemporary DCI.

The thing isnt the technical part of it. It's endurance. I would definitely give out after the first day. I gave out twice at a different rehearsal (2 different rehearsals) and the music was definitely not as hard as the music Cadet's play.

I wouldn't let that be a road block because you're not alone at all. I've was an upper lead at Cadets for five years and a music major but even at my last camp I was cashed by the end of rehearsal. They treated us well, but I just didn't have the type of endurance during the spring. I'd say it was like that with most of the other Cadets too.

I'm always impressed by camp recordings because I know it is at the end of a long day when everyone has tired chops. They are rough around the edges, but it sounds fantastic for what it is and the arrangement is killer. I can't wait to hear it shape up. Nice job Drew, sounds great!