Is Drum Corps "School?"

We all agree learning takes place...  

220 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drum Corps "School?"

• Yes, members are students and instructors are faculty.
    • No, members are memgers and instructors are instructors, that's it.

It never ceases to amaze me at the difference of point of views from the people who marched back in the 70's and 80's to the people's point of view who marched in the late 90's through current years.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you all know, I am a homer for a corps that uses the educational terms. (Cream... :) )

The focus of the corps has always been education. As a matter of fact, here is the corp's mission statement:

Developing lifelong excellence in young people through a superior and challenging performing arts education experience. (emphasis mine)

This is the corps mantra, and any endeavor the organization undertakes is tested against this. (ie-does said endeavour help us fufil the mission)

Therefore it would make sense to reresent yourself in the eyes of the public using educational terms. After all, it helps to explain and clarify focus when you present our niche activity to the public (corps-savvy or otherwise)

The staff teaches (teachers or faculty )

The members learn (students)

The members pay for the service (tuition)

The FMM's are called alumni ..

The guys in charge are called adminsitration...just like my old HS.

Sounds like the use of the educational terms is a good idea.

To me it makes sense. It is no different that Phantom calling their DM's Conductors..(they do conduct, and they are wanting to get that classical vibe..so it does make sense) or Cavies calling their alum's FMM's (they are former marching members..)

BTW--informally, the old terms are often used by myself and others..I still say "staff bus" or "members" or "kids" as do many others. It is in the public eye that the corps chooses to be more formal.

Edited by tubamann

i think its kind of both! Yes, you learn a wealth of knowledge on tour, but, really, if you think about it, Drumcorps is an extention of your family.

I am starting this to stop the OT discussion on another thread. I have heard terms such as "students," "faculty," and even "tuition" used in association with drum corps. I say that it is not. In fact, I have gone as far as to accuse drum corps stating this of being egotistical and pretentious. Some say it is merely semantics. I say it is more and it is inappropriate. Drum corps are not formal educational institutions, members are not student, instructors are not professors and directors are not deans. What do you think?

I'm with you on this one. The educational terms don't offend me maybe like they do you, but they seem unnecessarily "high brow"

I'm with you on this one. The educational terms don't offend me maybe like they do you, but they seem unnecessarily "high brow"

Yea! Members, Instructors and Staff. Really needed to be replaced. Was holding "Drum Corps" back that for sure.

(But I bet it helps during the begging for money both as an Indiviual and as a group!)

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

When I was in school I had a "teacher". When I went to Drum Corps rehearsal I had an "instructor". The latter made me feel more "grown up".

Who cares what a corps chooses to label the people who march and the people who don't march? How does it matter in any way, shape, or form to what you see on the field?

There should be a choice labeled "I couldn't care less."

Gee, thanks for the intelligent response. If you couldn't care less then why bother taking the time to post when the rest of this discussion is fairly interesting to read.

I guess this "play on words" changed when more corps started implementing in their mission statements that it was an educational youth activity.

There is teaching involved but it is more then just teaching someone how to play a horn or march, it is about teaching philosophical ideas of surviving on the road, how to live around others etc...etc..that is not REALLY something that can be taught but something that one learns from the experiences of marching.

And the poster who thinks the older generation doesn't "get it", yeah I get it, but it's self indulgent, if you ask me to call drum corps instructors "faculty". And to enter into the realm of "tuition". I think they maybe walking on shady ground here into another realm. When more corps become like Spirt of Jacksonville and work directly with educators to enhance their program where kids get credits for marching and that sort of thing, then yes it should be an educational aspect with the terminology. But when you're just going around stroking your own ego like some I think do in some certain corps who call themselves "faculty" instead of "staff" or "instructors"...well..then do what you say you're doing. TEACH. Don't just go out and get self made music majors who are already oiled for the taking.

It IS pretentious to me. I had alot of teachers in my drum corps..and they didn't go around having self appointed titles to indicate themselves as such. We just knew it.

Edited by Lancerlady

When I was in school I had a "teacher". When I went to Drum Corps rehearsal I had an "instructor". The latter made me feel more "grown up".

THAT is a good point. I feel the same way. When I marched I didn't feel like I was there to learn (although I knew learning and getting better were part of the experience), I felt like was there to perform. I felt like I was there to help make the corps better. I didn't feel like the corps was there to make me better. I would have preferred to be called "member" or "performer" rather than "student" (although they didn't yet really call marching members "students" back in the mid 90's).

...But when you're just going around stroking your own ego like some I think do in some certain corps who call themselves "faculty" instead of "staff" or "instructors"...well..then do what you say you're doing. TEACH. Don't just go out and get self made music majors who are already oiled for the taking.

I like that one!