Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

If the Cavaliers were designing a show non-conceptually, they would place their effects elsewhere, but there would STILL be effects! Does this make any sense? If you take out their concept, of course the show doesn't win, but that's because you're taking out all of the effects. To me, it's almost like saying, if some corps didn't do the shout section in their show, would they still have won? No! They're cutting out the release of an effect! But if they knew going into this designwise that they couldn't use a shout section, they would have planned accordingly.

This is a rarity, so get your recording devices ready - this is something that the Cavaliers do that I really appreciate. There I said it...what is the world comming to. :)

I appreciate that although they have other gimmicks that convey their concept, they do not rely on soloists and story telling. They play music that adequately conveys the theme, and perform visuals accordingly. For me, that is one of their better accomplishments - they do not rely on individuals to convey the message, rather, they allow the entire group to participate in it.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

competitive credit is no longer given to performing a demanding show that isn't performed as cleanly as a less demanding show that is perfect. watch 1993 cadets. that corps would be lucky to get 6th in field visual today.

Not necessarily . . . Four Corners got a lot of credit because of how difficult it was to perform.

Yes, cadets march fast but they surely do not move as much as the cavaliers do. other corps do more "traditional" drills, if it makes sense.

The Cadets march and play much more than the Cavaliers do by the way.

Many times the faster moving lines will be played standing still as opposed to marching and playing them. Watch 2002 Cavaliers and 2006 Cavaliers to a Cadet show out there. You'll probably see that the Cadets move and play at the same time way more frequently than the Cavaliers

Edited by Mouthpiece1234

based on what? your perception?

Well it's just something I was told and noticed more of lately. The Cavies have their horns down a lot, they're moving like crazy, but they're don't march and play as much. Like 2006 Cavaliers, most of the instrumental features were at holds, the Cadets had their horns up and marched much more frequently.

based on what? your perception?

he does have a point. they really do have their horns down a lot compared to the cadets

look at 02 06 cavies and 05 and 06 cadets. those horns are at a carry pretty frequently compared to the cadets

As far as '03 and '05 are concerned and how other corps were able to beat them, I think it's different in each case.

In '03, for the first time in many years, BD got their music book right from a program standpoint...flow, pace, transitions were all just right. Cavies also just went a bit too "out there" that year and opened the door. '05 I thought was just not a very good show musically and no amount of ladders or homeruns could fix it. Rough transitions and the corps performed it like they hated it.

As far as the dot system goes, I don't think it's really a significant factor over other methods. The Cavies were using the dot system long before 2000. Sure, it emphasizes individual responsibility, which is great. But if BD were dominating, you could just as easily say that guiding builds the ensemble sense of the performers and produces a tighter ensemble.

It's not rocket science. Cavies have had superior design and performance and rock solid consistency at a time when the other contenders have been wandering in the desert trying to find themselves. Cadets, BD and SCV are all going through significant upheavals trying to find new on-field identities for themselves...Regiment has found theirs and as they continue to work out the kinks, I expect them to continue to push Cavies.