Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

not really...

It would be like saying what's a better style of marching, straight-leg or bent knee?

There is no correct answer except for 'whoever does it better.'

It doesn't mean their show style is better, it just means they have been better at doing their shows in they style that they have established, than other corps are at doing their own shows in their own styles.

I think this sums up my overall opinion on the matter pretty well. What they do is very effective (for now), and they do it better than anyone else. Im sure people were blown away by the Cadets new show designs in the 80's, but people eventually caught up. Same goes for BD's runs, and you can even make a case for Star...with the money, talent and staff they had, but well never know about... :(

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this about the "different vs. better" argument. One of the key things I look for to determine how skilled a designer is is their ability to achieve maximum effect with minimum demand placed on the performer. Any idiot who halfway knows how to use Pyware can create really neat drill moves if he's not afraid to have everybody jazz running all the time. Most decent arrangers can write a cool horn book if they don't care how many almost unplayable runs and technical passages they put in. Achieving that same level of effect through great design, rather than the audience's appreciation of incredible demand, is the mark of a great show designer.

I will say this about the "different vs. better" argument. One of the key things I look for to determine how skilled a designer is is their ability to achieve maximum effect with minimum demand placed on the performer. Any idiot who halfway knows how to use Pyware can create really neat drill moves if he's not afraid to have everybody jazz running all the time. Most decent arrangers can write a cool horn book if they don't care how many almost unplayable runs and technical passages they put in. Achieving that same level of effect through great design, rather than the audience's appreciation of incredible demand, is the mark of a great show designer.

I have to mostly agree...however, i have a tendency to look 'through' or past what the designers wanted me to think, and I sometimes wonder why the judges dont. I dont know...maybe they arent supposed to, and maybe I'm just being to picky, but its the way i cant help but seeing things.

I definitely have to agree with you. Nice post.

So, my questions are:

How did the Cavaliers rise to the top, and how have they maintained it since 2000?

What do they do differently that other corps are not, or refuse to, right now?

I guess most has all been said before...

Great design team

Great instructional/educational team

Great volunteers

Decent members

Great direction

Cool uniforms

I don't think the kids really chase rings. They try to be good. Really good. They go to The Cavaliers because they feel they will reach the highest level of excellence marching there. They stay in The Cavaliers for the same reason.

-Beavs

I really liked -Beavs comment here; the best out of 25 pages and 241 posts (at time of me typing this)....(except Mr. Fiedler's of course) I think aside from all the arguments...er...discussions, one thing has been missed.

The Designers, Instructors, various staff members, and the countless Volunteers all treat the young men who come to the camps and who end up marching for the summer, like ADULTS. They don't treat them like some kid off the street who doesn't know what they're doing. They are treated from day one with the utmost respect as if they are in a small business.

I haven't been to a camp in a couple of years, but the last camp I was at, I was amazed at how the camps have changed to be more of a clinic than a nervous audition process from when I marched.

These men are given a task. It is up to these men to figure out how to accomplish this task in as little as 2 1/2 months. From November to May, they are given bits and pieces of raw information to help them piece together a product that will either sell, or fail. It's the 'crunch-time' where they start figuring out if they want to be a part of this winning team or not.

I believe that because the Management team of this small business gives these men the respect to find their own path (with guidance along the way) they ultimately sell their product to get the praise not only from the buyer (crowd/judges) but to get the praise from their Manager (Fiedler/Zuccola..etc...)

I know that many corps work basically the same way, especially the Scouts program (with the brotherhood) There is just something about the way The Cavaliers allow the Alumni to come in and talk with the current guys marching. Interact with them during meal times, breaks, or possible some Pizza Parties. Tell stories from the times they marched, and pass along old traditions....while often times new traditions are born.

Much thanks goes to the tireless efforts of the volunteers that come in from their busy lives, taking their hard earned vacation time and spending it on the road...either driving the busses, a van, rental-truck (minus going under low clearances), semi's, the Heitzmobile...or coming in and helping out with Laundry, sewing, cooking, or even helping out bringing in snacks for after the shows for the guys and other corps.

There are so many aspects of running a corps, that somehow, the Cavaliers have found what works. Whether it be it's marching style, playing style, designers, instructors, or the management. Coming up to 60 years in 2008, there is a lot of hard work that has finally clicked.

When you give respect to those Men who are working their tails off, and give them the tools to grow as a person, you will receive more respect than you could ever imagine. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of the things I accomplished that I never thought I could if it weren't for the Cavaliers and the people who helped me along the way.

Sure, each corps has it's success story and can achieve the same results...but when I see a corps director yelling at a member in front of everyone...belittling them because they didn't do a 'phone-in homework' assignment, or an instructor yelling at a member that just can't catch a toss instead of helping them learn how to catch it, I don't see the same respect or admiration flowing in either direction.

We can look at the different Dynasties over the past 35 years. I just know that in the 00's, the Machine finally got that fine tuning it needed and it has worked since.

Who knows what 2007 and beyond will bring. Let's just be happy that there is a venue for these young adults to go to instead of out on the streets and get into trouble.

I really liked -Beavs comment here; the best out of 25 pages and 241 posts (at time of me typing this)....(except Mr. Fiedler's of course) I think aside from all the arguments...er...discussions, one thing has been missed.

The Designers, Instructors, various staff members, and the countless Volunteers all treat the young men who come to the camps and who end up marching for the summer, like ADULTS. They don't treat them like some kid off the street who doesn't know what they're doing. They are treated from day one with the utmost respect as if they are in a small business.

I haven't been to a camp in a couple of years, but the last camp I was at, I was amazed at how the camps have changed to be more of a clinic than a nervous audition process from when I marched.

These men are given a task. It is up to these men to figure out how to accomplish this task in as little as 2 1/2 months. From November to May, they are given bits and pieces of raw information to help them piece together a product that will either sell, or fail. It's the 'crunch-time' where they start figuring out if they want to be a part of this winning team or not.

I believe that because the Management team of this small business gives these men the respect to find their own path (with guidance along the way) they ultimately sell their product to get the praise not only from the buyer (crowd/judges) but to get the praise from their Manager (Fiedler/Zuccola..etc...)

I know that many corps work basically the same way, especially the Scouts program (with the brotherhood) There is just something about the way The Cavaliers allow the Alumni to come in and talk with the current guys marching. Interact with them during meal times, breaks, or possible some Pizza Parties. Tell stories from the times they marched, and pass along old traditions....while often times new traditions are born.

Much thanks goes to the tireless efforts of the volunteers that come in from their busy lives, taking their hard earned vacation time and spending it on the road...either driving the busses, a van, rental-truck (minus going under low clearances), semi's, the Heitzmobile...or coming in and helping out with Laundry, sewing, cooking, or even helping out bringing in snacks for after the shows for the guys and other corps.

There are so many aspects of running a corps, that somehow, the Cavaliers have found what works. Whether it be it's marching style, playing style, designers, instructors, or the management. Coming up to 60 years in 2008, there is a lot of hard work that has finally clicked.

When you give respect to those Men who are working their tails off, and give them the tools to grow as a person, you will receive more respect than you could ever imagine. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of the things I accomplished that I never thought I could if it weren't for the Cavaliers and the people who helped me along the way.

Sure, each corps has it's success story and can achieve the same results...but when I see a corps director yelling at a member in front of everyone...belittling them because they didn't do a 'phone-in homework' assignment, or an instructor yelling at a member that just can't catch a toss instead of helping them learn how to catch it, I don't see the same respect or admiration flowing in either direction.

We can look at the different Dynasties over the past 35 years. I just know that in the 00's, the Machine finally got that fine tuning it needed and it has worked since.

Who knows what 2007 and beyond will bring. Let's just be happy that there is a venue for these young adults to go to instead of out on the streets and get into trouble.

it couldn't have been said any better, especially the second paragraph. i started out marching outside of the top 6, and it wasn't until after i went to another corps that i realized how much we were treated like children.

Great post, thanks for your insight. :)

Where do I begin…… let me see The Cavaliers are on top right now because they have a great staff and they simply choose to be the best. The use of rehearsal time and the quality of players also plays a huge part in it as well.

I’m very bias though, I have always been a Cavalier fan and I always will be a Cavaliers fan.

You know what really takes the cake though. How come year after year they always seem to be the least expected to win the championship and also they never get the publicity that some of the other corps do. Now don’t get me wrong here….. But I think the Cavaliers deserve far more than any other corp. And yes I do love other corps but the Cavaliers are just the best when it comes to Drum Corp!!!

You know what really takes the cake though. How come year after year they always seem to be the least expected to win the championship and also they never get the publicity that some of the other corps do. Now don’t get me wrong here….. But I think the Cavaliers deserve far more than any other corp.

haha . . . "publicity" . . .