Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, why not just do both? Why not try 16th note runs while dashing at a 4 to 5?

And if you're going to throw a Bergenfield remark at me, I'll refer to them. Look at the crazy drill move from 95. Awesome visual while playing a ####load of notes.

Ahhh....well i didnt want it to turn into this, but I cant say I mind either. If we are just looking at Cadets and Cavies (which is fairly narrowminded), and assuming that the world really works this way (which it may not), then Cavies moderation and design will usually win out except in the years where Cadets have rediculous talent and and actually buy into the 'work harder and smarter' philosophy...aka 2005. I have to leave now to watch 24...if jack bauer were a drum corps, which would he be...?

:worthy:

Sorry, I just skimmed through the beginning. I was watching my friend's Finals DVD. Went back and re-read it though. I see your point now. :)

no problem...thanks for clearing it up

Also, why not just do both? Why not try 16th note runs while dashing at a 4 to 5?

And if you're going to throw a Bergenfield remark at me, I'll refer to them. Look at the crazy drill move from 95. Awesome visual while playing a ####load of notes.

cool, I'll look for you in BC 95.

~>conner

The staff makes sure that the guys get plenty of sleep (members probably sleep more on tour then they do during the school year) and the corps is fed unbelievably well.

I've heard of some corps where the kids sleep on the bus when traveling...and then they get right off the bus and get ready for rehearsal. I'm pretty sure that never happens in the Cavaliers. The guys always get floor time.

If true, I definitely have to agree with this one. At Star, we did the "sleep on the bus" thing and I think it becomes counter-productive at some point (extra hours of practice that is). I literally felt like I was getting weaker and losing muscle as the season wore on because we had so little time to recuperate from the previous day's 12 hours of practice. This is very bad for the guys in low brass in particular...especially those of us who came into the activity with freakish metabolisms to begin with.

I also think that the relaxed atmosphere and "waterpark days" helps the mind to "recuperate" as well and helps members to be more focused for a longer period of time...thus making every minute of rehearsal count.

Edited by Medeabrass

the judges' interpretations of the sheets changed.

two things win championships now: (1) ensemble clarity, and (2) excellence.

ensemble clarity is more or less how well everything fits together. there doesn't need to be a story, but everything needs to "make sense." bad transitions and programming that is too "thick" are bad.

competitive credit is no longer given to performing a demanding show that isn't performed as cleanly as a less demanding show that is perfect. watch 1993 cadets. that corps would be lucky to get 6th in field visual today.

Interesting. I have no basis for my theory and maybe this is what you were saying but it seems to me that Individual/Field excellence has given way to Ensemble excellence. To me, this is especially true with field visual. It seems there's no penalty for marching out of phase or even for marching out of step as long as the form looks good from the box.

The rewards of doing much faster shows seem to outweigh any penalty for bad feet. I see this across the board in the top 12 for the most part.