Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

Now don't go bringing evil shennanigans into this - I was trying to be nice. :)

However, I have heard that in 2000 the Cavaliers spent a lot of times at pools/waterparks. In fact, BD and the Cavaliers are known for having a much more laid back approach. However, I have always wondered if those corps simply had a higher average talent level and could afford to do such things.

Hmm...is their laid back demeanor a key to their success, or a byproduct of very talented members that don't have to work quite as hard to achieve their maximum level of performance. My bet is on a little of each.

The Cavaliers rehearse very intensely but very efficiently. Off the field...the corps is almost like a fraternal organization. Its definitely something members want to come back to.

The staff makes sure that the guys get plenty of sleep (members probably sleep more on tour then they do during the school year) and the corps is fed unbelievably well.

I've heard of some corps where the kids sleep on the bus when traveling...and then they get right off the bus and get ready for rehearsal. I'm pretty sure that never happens in the Cavaliers. The guys always get floor time.

Their dot system allows people to be held accountable for their own mistakes...if one person is wrong...that person is wrong because they missed their coordinate...not because they guided to the person next to them who is also wrong. So I guess a culture of accountability reinforces individual strengths.

The Cavaliers have yet to have an off-year this decade. I cant think of anyone that has been that consistent in a long. Because of that they have almost had a monopoly of the best talent in the country (though talent has always been strong). There are a lot more 2 year vets and rook-outs now then there were in the past. The corps does not shy away from admitting that they take members based on talent first.

Oh...and they fixed their brass issues. For the longest time, the Cavaliers hornline was the weakest part of the corps.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two words: David Bertman. (If he reads this, maybe he'll increase my band grant, haha.)

HAHA... Unlikely... Oh, and if you ARE reading this Mr. Bertman, thanks again for that letter! :)

I think most of the things mentioned here are hitting it perfectly. I think the staffs are amazing with all the top corps, the talent levels are pretty equal, and success breeds success.

One point I am not sure has been brought up, that might give Cavies an edge over other corps, is the fact they are all male. Not that men are better performers than women, but there are variables that will take effect during rehearsals, and getting ready.

Restroom breaks are usually shorter for men than women. If you have ever noticed, 135 men can get through the restroom faster than 25 women can. I have been to shows, where the line to the mens room was longer than the womens room line. My dad and I both entered our respective lines at the same time. He was coming out of the mens room before I was even entering the ladies room. This can affect rehearsal times. Also, when getting ready for the shows, the guards with females seem to take 3 times longer to get ready than the guards with all men. There is a lot more use of makeup, and most women tend to primp a little more than their male counterparts do.

One point brought up to Raphael also hit it on the head I think. Blue Devils and Cavaliers may have more fun time than other corps in the top 6 do. I think that makes them a little looser when it comes back down to rehearsal time, allowing them to rehease a little better. I think the more fun you have, the better you will do. After long long long(did I mention long) rehearsal hours, I think people tend to lose focus. So I think a little looser rehearsal can sometimes improve the members focus.

One last thing now, if I was a ring chaser, I would want to set myself up now with one of the best corps. Cavies, Cadets, and Blue Devils have had a piece of every DCI title back to 1991. So you figure you have a 33% chance of winning a ring being part of one of those corps. Those are pretty good odds, and a lot of young performers look at that when auditioning. and while I am not saying that alot of the lower placing corps don't have tons of talent as well, the members who are looking for a higher placement come finals week, will usually audition for a top 6 corps.

One last thing, I think this is changing a little. I think the quality of all of the top 12 is getting closer all the time. And even the lowest placing DI corps are putting out awesome shows. Too bad more people aren't there in the stands to see them. Even though I am a huge Cavies fan, I wouldn't mind seeing a year where Pioneer places 1st, and Cavies place 23rd, and the next year have the total opposite again.

I guess another good question is - What did BD or the Cadets do differently to beat the Cavaliers? The Cavaliers definately didn't let up in 03 (I really didn't follow 05 very closely so I can't comment).

I've been a fan of the Cavaliers for years, I enjoy their shows all the time.

I think their visual program is the best of the best at the moment, yet somehow I feel that the music program as great as it is, is really lacking and rush or grab towards a musical enjoyment stand point. I always noticed that the audience always eats up the visual tricks and cool drill moves, but they don't really respond to their musical features. I originally associated that possibly the audience is ignorant of their musical design, but over the years when there are only a handful of claps for soloists or features, whether percussive or brass-wise, the Cavaliers are missing something....

They don't seem to get that kind of audience wail like the park and blows of 2001 Cadets' Moon Dance, 2004 SCV's percussion features, or 2006 Phantom Regiment's Ave Maria.

Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Side note: I've noticed that out of the dynasty's of 83-93 Cadets, 94-99 BD, and 00-06 Cavies. The Cavaliers made much more of a Visual Central Program while Blue Devils made much more of a Musical Central Program.

The Cadets in their years made both. They had charming music of Appalachian Spring as well as the infamous Z-Pull on their side.

I heard they write the music to the drill!

No, they don't. I have a friend who marches there, and I asked him that very question. Michael Gaines can write the drill perfectly fine after music has been selected/composed/arranged/whatever.

I agree with almost all of the posts. The Cavaliers are very, very smart about all the things they do, from design, to sleep, to nutrition, etc, etc.....I think you really have to give Jeff Fiedler (and Bruno too) a lot of credit. They truly do an incredible job from top to bottom. Let's not forget the genius of Micheal Gaines as well.

However, I have always wondered if those corps simply had a higher average talent level and could afford to do such things.

That is true. Cavaliers accept many people who have 2 years left or are rookouts. If you've seen their "World Champion of the Day" thing on the website, many ppl are rookouts. I would have to say about 25% of the corps is rookouts. Blue Devils also have higher expectations as well. That's why both corps are laid back. They have people who get a job done a slight bit faster than other corps (VERY SLIGHTLY, but it adds up through 3 months)(no offense to other corps)

I heard they write the music to the drill!

HAH! Nice Russ. Are you being serious?! :worthy:

Edited by rai-mello

No, they don't. I have a friend who marches there, and I asked him that very question. Michael Gaines can write the drill perfectly fine after music has been selected/composed/arranged/whatever.

This is probably true; but how many years has he worked with MichaelRichard Saucedo? You get to know each others work after awhile (and I think they have also collaborated on some MB shows as well.) They compliment each other so well.

ps...thank you for the names...I cannot believe I forgot them :sshh:

Edited by prodigal bari