Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

since when has their current design team been together. i believe bertman came in 01, but that's about all i know.

1999. For the most part.

This can be seen in the overall show to design compared to 1998 and 1999-present. Both musical and visual aspects made a radical change at that point and its quite obvious.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot has to do with their members. They won, so all kinds of Champion chasers come out of the woodworks to march a winning corps. This isn't a slam, but you have to look at the members previous corps. How many came from never marching to the Cavaliers, versus came from another non contender? People like to be the best or be part of the best. If corps had to maintain a certain percentage of people from their hometown or state, you would see some serious changes in rankings. With the advent of adding more kids to be at 150 per corps, you will see even more gap between the haves and the have nots.

Our records from the past five-six years show that we draw dramatically more corps members from outside of the drum corps activity than we do from other drum corps. I would say that 60-70% of the corps has past experience ONLY in The Cavaliers, and not with other drum corps.

jeff

That is true. Cavaliers accept many people who have 2 years left or are rookouts. If you've seen their "World Champion of the Day" thing on the website, many ppl are rookouts. I would have to say about 25% of the corps is rookouts. Blue Devils also have higher expectations as well. That's why both corps are laid back. They have people who get a job done a slight bit faster than other corps (VERY SLIGHTLY, but it adds up through 3 months)(no offense to other corps)

HAH! Nice Russ. Are you being serious?! :ph34r:

25% rookouts?

we had 10 guys "rook-out" in 2006. That is the most "rook-outs" we've had in a few years. 12 guys with two years, 17 guys with three years, 2 guys with four years, 3 guys with five years, 1 guy with six years. 45 graduates from 2006, about six to eight more than 2005.

jeff

When you're #1 there's always a target on your back. Not always fair, it's just the way it is.

As much as I didn't like the Cavaliers in the 90's, they have really grown on me in the 00's. Competing against them was fun, but I have to say if The Cadets didn't exist, I would've probably marched Cavaliers. The drill design they have has been absolutely phenomenal over the past 6 years. Though I didn't like all of the music they chose over some of those years, they do know how to bring a powerful performance to the table. I maybe a Cadet borg and everything (as someone on this site has called me), but The Cavaliers will ALWAYS have my respect for what they do and how they perform.

...just my .02 cents....

Fielder: Thanks for the reply. As I stated, I am not making a dig at the kids marching, just merely seeking the numbers you gave me, they disprove my theory. Times have changed drastically since you and I marched. Remember when the kids in the corps were mainly from the same area as the corps itself? My point about jumping to 150 remains though. That is going to nothing more than take away from the smaller corps. Pretty soon the only corps left will be the top 12.

Success begets success. Once they reached the top, good management, staff consistency, financial stability all allow them to stay on top. I would give much of the credit to corps management, meaning Jeff Fiedler.

One point I am not sure has been brought up, that might give Cavies an edge over other corps, is the fact they are all male. Not that men are better performers than women, but there are variables that will take effect during rehearsals, and getting ready.

Restroom breaks are usually shorter for men than women. If you have ever noticed, 135 men can get through the restroom faster than 25 women can. I have been to shows, where the line to the mens room was longer than the womens room line. My dad and I both entered our respective lines at the same time. He was coming out of the mens room before I was even entering the ladies room. This can affect rehearsal times. Also, when getting ready for the shows, the guards with females seem to take 3 times longer to get ready than the guards with all men. There is a lot more use of makeup, and most women tend to primp a little more than their male counterparts do.

No one has brought it up because it's a totally baseless argument.

If your "logic" is sound, why aren't Scouts achieving the same success as Cavaliers?

Your success on the field has very little to do with how fast you pee.

Edited by Crayola8

I haven't read through every post so sorry if this is repeated.

I have watched Cavaliers through the years since 1977. It it my opinion that they started their surge to the top in 1984 with their second year playing "Pines of Rome." Granted they only placed 8th but it was an improvement and folks heads were starting to turn. That year was followed by a very successful 1985 with their unforgettable show based mostly on The Planets where they placed 5th. From that point on they didn't look back but to only fall to 7th in 1997. The formula had been discovered and they were on an adventure to claim the holy grail in drum corps......Champion. :ph34r: