Cavalier dominance 2000-Present

now you know. the cavs run on creamy soul nougat and celestial hijinks. bam.

I haven't laughed right out loud in the middle of my office at anything on these boards for a long time.. Until now.

Thanks, whoever you are. That made my week!

Stef

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the judges' interpretations of the sheets changed.

two things win championships now: (1) ensemble clarity, and (2) excellence.

ensemble clarity is more or less how well everything fits together. there doesn't need to be a story, but everything needs to "make sense." bad transitions and programming that is too "thick" are bad.

competitive credit is no longer given to performing a demanding show that isn't performed as cleanly as a less demanding show that is perfect. watch 1993 cadets. that corps would be lucky to get 6th in field visual today.

I think it's great that the Cavaliers have a completely different approach than most others in both show design and brass performance. The more variety in drum corps, the better, in my opinion. As long as the activity can define the core elements of what it is about, kept in place by a minimally changing system of rules over time (except when absolutely necessary), I'm all for any sort of variation whatsoever. I love being able go from watching a balls-loud, classical Phantom Regiment to a perfectly refined, perfectly choreographed, total package Cavaliers.

Edited by Hrothgar15

I think it's great that the Cavaliers have a completely different approach than most others in both show design and brass performance. The more variety in drum corps, the better, in my opinion. As long as the activity can define the core elements of what it is about, kept in place by a minimally changing system of rules over time (except when absolutely necessary), I'm all for any sort of variation whatsoever. I love being able go from watching a balls-loud, classical Phantom Regiment to a perfectly refined, perfectly choreographed, total package Cavaliers.

But they all should still be loud and flying-babies-inducing and of 'high musical arrangement quality', right?

:P

I poke fun! I kids, I kids...

carry on

I'll throw a baby at that comment. :P

let me add one:

I've seen some posts extending some comments about the innovation of the cavaliers to other corps (NOT referring to different periods of time but to the 00's) and I have to disagree: Cavaliers have at least three unique ways to approach their show:

- total package

- visual design

- brass ensemble

I don't see any other corps putting together shows in wich every part "fits" that well. neither any corps has the drill that Cavaliers have. Yes, cadets march fast but they surely do not move as much as the cavaliers do. other corps do more "traditional" drills, if it makes sense.

and as far as concern the brass approach, they are unique. No other corps sounds like them. still, other corps have a traditional approach.

of course, it's my opinion.

Well, since at least the mid 80s Cavies have always had a 'geometric' sense about their drill...just as Cadets have usually taken a more curvalinear approach with the endless morphologies and merges that Zingali specialized in. The Cavies have just taken their geometric drills to insane levels of creativity in this most recent era.

Why does Gore's home in 26 days consume as much energy as the average home in ONE YEAR?

.........because his house is bigger? :ph34r: