Bringing Back the Classics

The glorious ninth of Ludwig van.

Halen?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd also love to see SCV do a reprisal of their '78/'79 show, with Giovannini's Overture to a New Era from '78. That stuff from Gayane (especially Hopak or Gopak or whatever it's called) is golden.

The William Tell Overture. No brass line to my recallection has punched it out since the Bridgemen.

'Overture to a New Era' -- Santa Clara made it a classic

Edited by Boybugle63

None. I've been around long enough that I've heard most of the classics done to death. They rarely get better the 34th time around, and in a lot of cases, even if the playing is technically better than it used to be, the interest in discovery is simply gone, which makes the second or third hearings pale in comparison.

And in some cases, the earliest versions simply nailed it; I've never heard a "Mambo" better than Anaheim's in '74, or a "Nuttville" as good as Spirit's in '79. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

I'm looking forward to hearing music I don't know this summer, or at least, music I haven't yet heard in a drum corps setting.

Edited by mobrien