Bringing Back the Classics

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1812 Overture. I'm sure it's been used recently but, not sure.

None. I've been around long enough that I've heard most of the classics done to death. They rarely get better the 34th time around, and in a lot of cases, even if the playing is technically better than it used to be, the interest in discovery is simply gone, which makes the second or third hearings pale in comparison.

And in some cases, the earliest versions simply nailed it; I've never heard a "Mambo" better than Anaheim's in '74, or a "Nuttville" as good as Spirit's in '79. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

I'm looking forward to hearing music I don't know this summer, or at least, music I haven't yet heard in a drum corps setting.

As I already stated: I don't mind corps playing old stuff but you've made a nice arguement, especially with those examples.

I'm always of the opinion that corps should be playing something new. Count me in with whitedawn and mobrien. However, I do have a suggestion for this thread, a piece that's been used, but still has so much potential...

Harmonium, with full vocal accompaniment. So far corps have only performed one section of the piece; Wild Nights, with Phantom 2003 justifying calling it a classic. While I love what they did, and what Boston did in 2001, I'd love to hear an entire show of this piece. Start with Negative Love, into Because I Could Not Stop for Death, and finish up with Wild Nights, the show practically writes itself. Of course, hearing the John Donne and Emily Dickinson poetry that the piece is set to would be an absolute must. Dont' worry, these vocals would not be narration, but rather one more layer of music to complete the character of the work.

Edited by Maedhros

I'm always of the opinion that corps should be playing something new. Count me in with whitedawn and mobrien. However, I do have a suggestion for this thread, a piece that's been used, but still has so much potential...

Harmonium, with full vocal accompaniment. So far corps have only performed one section of the piece; Wild Nights, with Phantom 2003 justifying calling it a classic. While I love what they did, and what Boston did in 2001, I'd love to hear an entire show of this piece. Start with Negative Love, into Because I Could Not Stop for Death, and finish up with Wild Nights, the show practically writes itself. Of course, hearing the John Donne and Emily Dickinson poetry that the piece is set to would be an absolute must. Dont' worry, these vocals would not be narration, but rather one more layer of music to complete the character of the work.

Or corps could just play music, but whatever.

You know...

I wish people would stop spewing their vitriol all over EVERY SINGLE TOPIC on DCP.

The question, simply, was "What classics...?" NOT "Would you or would you not like to hear some of the good old tunes. If so, which ones. If not, why?"

I would like to hear some new tunes, too. BUT, I would also like to hear some golden oldies.

Just answer the #### question. This is just supposed to be FUN! See what everybody else would like to hear. Those of you that insist upon being the turd in the punch bowl, ALRIGHT! WE GET IT! YOU CAN STOP NOW! You have my permission...

Light the torch, let the flames begin...

PS: I would still like to hear "Slaughter" and I agree with someone else for "Pagliacci"...

You know...

I wish people would stop spewing their vitriol all over EVERY SINGLE TOPIC on DCP.

The question, simply, was "What classics...?" NOT "Would you or would you not like to hear some of the good old tunes. If so, which ones. If not, why?"

I would like to hear some new tunes, too. BUT, I would also like to hear some golden oldies.

Just answer the #### question. This is just supposed to be FUN! See what everybody else would like to hear. Those of you that insist upon being the turd in the punch bowl, ALRIGHT! WE GET IT! YOU CAN STOP NOW! You have my permission...

Light the torch, let the flames begin...

PS: I would still like to hear "Slaughter" and I agree with someone else for "Pagliacci"...

I'm not big on retreads, but I would not mind hearing Phantom do the Organ Symphony again, if they so choose. Although...I'd trade it in for Janacek's Sinfonietta. :P

.....did...did..did...did you seriously just say that Harmonium isn't music? I to muzzle my mouth......to keep the flames from shooting out.

No...I think Hrothgar was referring to the use of vocals, not the use of the piece itself.