Maynard Ferguson Show?

PLEASE tell me someone is playing a show dedicated to Maynard this year. I've been waiting to see if BD figured out this would be perfect for them for 07 but can't wait on them to make an announcement. Anyone else think this would be a perfect return to jazz show for them?

Someone in DCA is, IIRC. Don't remember who, though.

the trumpets in DCI for the last couple of years havn't exactly been screamer material, what fun would a maynard show be if there was no screamers, it seems now days when someone barley squeeks a g the crowd goes bananas, when i hear shows from the 80s and early 90s it seems like everyone had a good share of leads who had some mad chops, last time i heard a pretty good lead was the guy from BD, i forget his name, he aged out in 05, where are all the screamers at?????

the trumpets in DCI for the last couple of years havn't exactly been screamer material, what fun would a maynard show be if there was no screamers, it seems now days when someone barley squeeks a g the crowd goes bananas, when i hear shows from the 80s and early 90s it seems like everyone had a good share of leads who had some mad chops, last time i heard a pretty good lead was the guy from BD, i forget his name, he aged out in 05, where are all the screamers at?????

Yeah I know right? I hate it when trumpet players try to be real musicians and focus on more things in their playing besides range. Jerks.

Yeah I know right? I hate it when trumpet players try to be real musicians and focus on more things in their playing besides range. Jerks.

It's fun tho.

screaming is an awesome thing dont get me wrong, but musicianship has nothing to do with that, id rather hear a solid horn line then people screaming, this where i find a problem with DCA, people end up not even marching a show, just doin limited roles screaming in front of the marching ensemble, to all you DCI screamers keep doin wat ur doin, as long as you march while playign lol, which i dont doubt at your level

Empire Statesmen are doing a Maynard show this year, and Joey Pero (one of their soloists) actually played with Maynard. Ritchee Price, the other soloist is possibly in the top 3 of all time DCA soloists both from his work with Statesmen and his work with the Rhode Island Matadors.

BTW, not ALL dca soloists just stand in front of the pit...

Played TMEA with Metropolitan Winds a couple years ago ('04?). We did the Wehrle Trumpet Concerto, which if you've never heard is pretty stinkin' cool! Adam Rapa, of East Coast Jazz and Blast fame, was our soloist. Can I just say, the kid can play! We had Silvestre Fuentes or Alphonso Gonzales as our guest artist a few years ago...Cuban guy, um--Oh yeah! Arturo Sandoval!! I forget his name b/c his performance was so forgettable. Joke, really.

So I've got a recording of Maynard (on-topic point) doing the Werhle, Arturo screwing it up, and Adam, quite frankly, DEFINING the piece! Cadenza at the end was GREAT! Takes a little ditty that Arturo did below the staff descending in the range (as if he were a tired, old man at the end of an obviously challenging performance), and proceeds to take it down an octave!! Didn't know that a trumpet could play that low. Proceeded to play HIGHER than any trumpet I've ever heard--crowd went crazy!

Were any of you there for that? Feb 2004 TMEA at the Gonzalez Convention Center at San Antonio.

My point: The Wehrle Concerto is awesome and I'd like to hear a DC do it. If not BD, then perhaps Bloooo--would make a great soloist piece/show! Just have to get over that GE hump.

Edit: Legolaus corrected me--Adam was with East Coast Jazz, not Scouts. Sorry for the goof!

Edited by silvertrombone